Gear oil clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear oil clarification

I have several posts about using "Gear oil" in the middle and final drives. I would like to let everyone know that these units both contain Hypoid gears. This means that the gears not only have contact points in the configuration, but they also have a sliding contact area. The specifications call for HYPOID gear oil and regular gear oil does not contain the needed compounds to keep the gears from wearing. Always use HYPOID gear oil in the middle and final drives.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

I use Castrol 70w-90 Syntech synthetic in my middle and final drives. Have been for years. I have had no problems what so ever with it, other than it migrating past the threads of the fill, and drain plug, but a little pipe dope or teflon tape curses that.

Comment

I also use synthetic, but Red Line 75w90 gear oil. It meets ALL specs for the XS, and has given me plenty of life with little problems.( except water in the middle gear on the Solvang Ralley).
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

StaLube 80-90wt for "limited slip differentials". It's what I still have sitting around. Bought several cases long ago when I was 4-wheeling alot (crossing streams).
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

but a little pipe dope or teflon tape curses that.
          I swear at my leaking fittings, too, but that doesn't seem to help.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

With exceptions...

Seems we are using other types of oil that works just fine "except"..... Maybe the right oil won't boil over on long hard rides like DiverRay's on the Solvang ride or get hot and leak past threads. Maybe we should read the specifications in the manual and use the right stuff. Having engineering experience with hypoid gears, I sure will.
            Last edited by planedick; 11-07-2006, 07:43 AM.
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system

Comment

The boil over on mine was caused by water in the middle gear that I DIDN'T remove when I did the first oil change. The second time, I CLEANED the middle gear out, and my 85MPH at 118 degree run through the desert didn't do anything. Bike ran great the 7,200 miles this past summer, and the oil level was at the fill point when I changed it again.
              Ray
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

If you check I think you will find all the oils mentioned above ARE hypoid oils.
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

The Castrol bottle doesn't say anywhere on it that it a Hypoid oil, but it is recommended in all automotive differentials, and most of them have hypoid gears. Don't they?

Comment

Auto's differental..

No, auto differantials are not hypoid. Hypoid gears are found in most outboard motor bottom gearing. Hypoid gears allow the drive gear to drive the driven gear at other than the center. It also allows for much more contact area so we can put the massive HP of the XS in such a small area.

Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system

Comment

The ring and pinion gears in most auto differentials is a hypoid gear set.

http://gemini.tntech.edu/~slc3675/me...re/grnts4.html

'05 ST1300

Comment

Real clarification....

Well, the can of worms is now open. The original post was to clarify some post that said to use 90 WT gear oil when the manual says hypoid gear oil. The gear set is not really hypoid, but the pressure from the XS beast probably warrants the special rating. The gear set is really spiral bevel gears. I am amazed at how many people here have tried to change my mind about the proper oil by saying they have used XXXX for XXX yrs without problems. As I stated in the beginning, 90 WT gear oil is not what the manual specified. Period. I don't give a dam what you all use. I will continue to adhere to the manual because I want mine to last forever.

As you see, sometimes I can be a real ass. I get better at it with age.

Drilled airbox
                        Tkat fork brace
                        Hardly mufflers
                        late model carbs
                        Newer style fuses
                        Oil pressure guage
                        Custom security system

Comment

Some more clarification

I am amazed at how many people here have tried to change my mind about the proper oil by saying they have used XXXX for XXX yrs without problems. As I stated in the beginning, 90 WT gear oil is not what the manual specified. Period. I don't give a dam what you all use. I will continue to adhere to the manual because I want mine to last forever.
                          Hey Dick,

As with other topics here, most folks are NOT trying to change your mind, or tell you what to do or not do! They are merely sharing their experiences with other techniques, similar products, etc. that worked just as well as the "officially recommended" products.

We welcome your expertise and knowledge, but others here are also knowledgeable, and have previous experiences that shouldn't necessarily be discounted. It's at their own choice and possible peril whether they heed any advice given here on XS11.com.
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Re: Real clarification....

Originally posted by planedick
                            Well, the can of worms is now open. The original post was to clarify some post that said to use 90 WT gear oil when the manual says hypoid gear oil. The gear set is not really hypoid, but the pressure from the XS beast probably warrants the special rating. The gear set is really spiral bevel gears. I am amazed at how many people here have tried to change my mind about the proper oil by saying they have used XXXX for XXX yrs without problems. As I stated in the beginning, 90 WT gear oil is not what the manual specified. Period. I don't give a dam what you all use. I will continue to adhere to the manual because I want mine to last forever.

As you see, sometimes I can be a real ass. I get better at it with age.
                            I think the point is that almost any automotive gear oil IS a high pressure, hypoid gear oil that will work in the XS gear case.

The only place in any car that requires gear oil, at all, is in the differential which is a high pressure hypoid gear set that will take far more torque and stress than anything in the XS1100.

Take my Monte for example 567ftlbs of torque x (2.48 1st gear ratio x 3.73) differential ratio = 567 x 9.176 = 5203ftlbs torque, at the rear axle! Then multiply that by the rear tire size.... (1.5"axle x 27" tire = 18:1 x 4266 =93,654ft lbs!)

I think what I am using will take anything the XS100 can dish out and I use an 85W/90 synthetic of the shelf from Canadian tire.

http://yarchive.net/car/hypoid_gear_oil.html

Your only real question is what weight to use for your climate and application.

So unless your talking about a 90wt gear oil that is some wierd mineral oil for spur gear cases or something like that, it should work, but as you said better off to use an oil you KNOW will work!

'05 ST1300

Comment

Working...
                            X