Manual Cam Chain Tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual Cam Chain Tensioner

Has anyone made or tried a manual cam chain tensioner like some of the drag racing guys use? I understand that a manual tensioner gives more positive support to the chain slide, is stronger and supposedly results in better cam timing, etc.

Anyone ever try one?
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Tad,

I would say that, in effect, we DO have a manual cam chain tensioner. Once set, it won't move unless the lock bolt is loosened. Although we do have a 'spring assist' to help set it.

Comment

I would be concerned that a manual tensioner could accelerate chain stretch.
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

What is a manual tensioner? As far as I know, we do have a manual chain tensioner. My idea of an automatic tensioner would be something like an idler pulley on a car engine.
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Poor choice of words?

I guess I mean a tensioner that is not self adjusting. Ours use the spring to adjust the tension when the lock screw is released. I am talking about one where the adjustment is actually made by turning an adjustment screw and then locking that adjustment down.

I do not know if there is any advantage on a street bike but I was thinking that a good design might eliminate the ever-leaking button on the end of the adjuster.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

a good design might eliminate the ever-leaking button on the end of the adjuster.
            See... and I thought that was my oil level indicator. When it quit leaking, I knew it was time to add oil! lol..

I like the setup we have, I only wish the tensioner had been placed where the butt of it was in an upright position. I used some Yamabond around my button and that part doesn't leak, but even with a new gasket, I can't seem to get it to quit seeping around the bolt holes.

Like they said though, ours is pretty much a manual thing, it is just more idiot (Me) proof, Instead of relying on the operator to apply the proper torque to the chain. it does it for us. AND... as many of us that have stripped out the retaining screw and nut by over-torquing... this may be a VERY good thing! lol.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Mine was leaking before I traded cams. I didn't even have a new gasket. I just used RTV (grey) around the button and for a gasket replacement and no more leak.

Full manual tentionersleave a lot of room to screw things up.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Since we're on the subject, thought I'd mention that my XS400 Special has an AUTOMATIC tensioner for the cam chain. i believe all of the xs400 motors are the same. Makes me wonder why Yammy would put an automatic one on a little engine and a manual one on the 1100 ?

Comment

tensionersleave (not a tensioner sleave, but that tensioners leave). Damn space bar
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                  X