driver foot peg mounting on 78XS11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• driver foot peg mounting on 78XS11

Can any one tell me how the driver foot pegs mount on the 78XS11, my bike had running boards on it until I met a guard rail and bridge, since I couldn't find replacement floor boards I decided to switch back to standard shift and brake levers and standard pegs, now that I have all the parts I'm trying to figure out how the pegs mount on, I asume they mount on the long rear motor mont bolt but is there a spacer or anything between the weird alumin bracket, any body want to run out to their garage quick and take a look? by the way my clymers doesn't show this detail, and looking at all the Xs11 on the web page was little help.
    Dave

Also this is the first time I've used this forum so I may not be doing it right and I don't want to piss anybody off with such a seemly simple question.
    Last edited by drdwb; 09-24-2002, 07:13 PM.
    dwbutler

Dave, the foot peg mount IS the spacer. If your floorboards are like mine. the rear mount fit between the aluminmum piece and the frame. The peg goes in the same place and then the bolt goes thru from side to side.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

Just curious...I am just putting floorboards on my '82 XJ. Any chance you have a heel-toe shifter from your old set up you would part with? If so, contact me off-line!

On the XJ, and I believe the XS, the footpeg mount is a piece of heavy steel that fits on the rear engine mounting bolt, and is placed behind the heavy aluminum piece that mounts the rear footpeg bracket. The mount should have a 3/4 inch or so square 'socket' where the footpeg should fit. The mount is at an angle and is drilled for a bolt. (Original footpegs were riveted in this mount, but a bolt works just as well for a replacement.)

On the XJ the left mount is behind the shift lever shaft, and just a bit lower. On the right side it is just above the kink in the brake lever arm. Depending on your floorboard set-up, you may need to find an original brake lever, as some floorboard setups used a different style arm as part of the kit.

I can take a few photos of the XJ's set-up if this would help. Let me know.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanks for the response to Brian and Jerry, to Brian my set up has a small washer spacer like 1/8" thick that is behind the rear floor board mount and the frame, thus the order from outside in is alumin triangle bracket-floor board bracket-spacer-frame, is this similar to you set up, how much of the motor mount bolt sticks out from the bracket.
        Dave

To Jerry my heel toe shifter mounted to the floor board bracket, and the shift lever was mangled when I hit the wall, it was so twisted I had to take it off to shift the bike into 3 gear to drive the bike home, the whole floor board was shattered and the mounting bracket has like a 30 degree bend to it , but it is probably what saved my foot, a friend who is a real wizard with metal is trying to strighten the whole mess out, if I get my bike running with the standard set up and my friend manages to strighten it out I'll let you know.
        Dave
        dwbutler

Comment

Working...
        X