No announcement yet.

Auxillary Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I picked up an old R-22 refrigerant tank that I'll be converting to an auxillery tank. When I ever get around to starting this project, I'll let you all know. I'll go happy with the camera.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

John,
      Most in tank pumps are just to prime the pressure pumps on the newer cars. They don't put out much pressure, so they can be used for a transfer pump.
      It will be easier with an external pump, so I think you have the right idea.
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I don't know if this helps, but Some buddies of myne have 12v electric fuel pumps for RC airplanes. Some are kinda low flow, but I have seen some good ones. They usually make them for gas and nitromethane. Also, some of them are noisy. I just thought that I would add that to the list of options that you have.
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hey John!!

Just in case you needed some inspiration for your Iron Butt project.

http://www.st-riders.com/st1100/default.htm

Comment

I just thought, what if you get rear ended? With your idea, you have some protection because of the fender and luggage rack. On the ST1100, that tank is right behing the license plate. Ever heard of a Crown Victoria? That is just one thing to think about if it hasn't already been mentioned.
            Acta Non Verba

Comment

Well

A crown Vick up your ass is a real problem!! I don't think Iron Butts care.

Comment

I just don't like the idea of burning my skin off in addition to the road rash if I get hit from behind. Just think of all that fuel spilling all over that hot exhaust. Also taking the main idea from that tank, if the bottom of the aux tank is higher than the bottom of the stock tank, then you wouldn't need a pump at all. Just to lines, one on the top to drain/fill and the top one to vent. That is actually a good idea. Sometime soon, I hope to join the IBA
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

nice

But I am with you a bit scary sittin on a bomb. I have looked and looked and looked for a bigger tank to just modify got any ideas?

Comment

the heat from your exhaust is not enough to make leaking fuel catch on fire, but it does heat it enough that almost any spark would start a fire. The odds of you getting hit from behind are very slim as well. If you factor the odds, it is a safe bet to have a spare/auxillary fuel tank at the rear of your bike.

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
                    Second bike is an FJR1300.
                    Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

Aren't we already straddeling a 600lb, hot, 1100cc machine with 3 to 6 gallons of gas in our crotch travelling at high speed? Some bikes even come with a chainsaw thrown into the mix.
                      2 gallons of gas out behind me shouldn't be a worry (unless I'm doing wheelies).
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Getting hit in the ass, whether you have a tank back there or not, is not gonna feel very good, If that hit is enough to cause a spark, your gonna probably be glad for the BBQ.
                        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                        1-big XS patch
                        1-small XS/XJ patch
                        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Do you remember?

I know John is old enough, but some of the other youngsters might not be.

I just have visions of those Pinto's bursting into flames after a rear end collision! So hanging it out beyond the rear wheel doesn't look good!
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Gawk at this....

Here is a system that could be portable and just add enough range on those long trips.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0187&rd=1&rd=1

I did get my extra tank. I will check in with my local welder gurus on adding some gith to it. I hope to get 6 gals out of it but 5 would make me happy.

I guess I will have to navigate the pic sceen on this forum so I can share.
                            Last edited by kennewick58; 11-14-2006, 07:46 PM.

Comment

650 tank

I picked up a 650 tank last week, but unfortunatly, it is not any shorter than the 1100 tank, it is just narrower, and the angle from the front to the sides is different. I may be able to do something with it. If not, I'm not out anything as it was a freebie.
                              Let me know if you come up with something interesting that may help on my end.

Comment

I know some real good welders. My concept is to cut out the side centers where the badge is. Then weld a expansion out to a new side dimension and after smoothing it all out replacing the badge. I plan to bow it out larger toward the front and taper it back to fit the contour of my knees when sitting. We'll see what can happen with it.

I personally don't like the extra tank concept. I just want to get to 200 miles before reserve.

I will be doing the final gear mod as well. A combo of more fuel and better gas mileage. A sort of "sport crusier".

I also found some hard bags and mounts to add to the travel cause and look.

Comment

Working...
                                X