Auxillary Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bigger tank.

I have been working with a old coot harley guy that gave me a good idea. He has successfully used a aftermarket fat bob tank about 100$ and split it in half.

On a spare tank he traced and cut to contour the edges and drilled holes in the original tank to form a baffle system with lower weep holes for complete drainage. Then welded the halves to the tank. He didn't kreem the finished product But I might. Anyway looked sano and the tank was massive.

I just won a tank on Ebay and will give it a try. I will look around for a good match tank.

What do you think?

Comment

Lots of good fuel pumps out there....a for instance...the fuel pump of the Honda Shadow's....

PUMP ASSY., FUEL 16710-MR1-005 $108.62

Reliable. Quiet. Energy efficient. And when not energized, cuts off fuel flow.
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Dan

Being the cheap , I mean frugal, SOB that I am, that $108 is too xspensive. I won't need a pump that delivers as much pressure as that does. The Shadow was fuel injected wasn't it? I am just looking for something to use as a transfer pump. I am going to plumb the existing fuel lines so I can run on one petcock again. I plan on plumbing the aux tank line to the left side petcock, and into the prime port. When my fuel light comes on, I'll set the petcock to the prime position, and turn on the pump to transfer the fuel to the stock fuel tank, hence filling it back up while riding.
        Kennewick, are you saying that this guy just welded the halves of the spare tank right over the existing tank, after he drilled holes in the stock tank to allow the fuel to flow through? Brilliant! That may be worth giving some serious thought to. I have three spare tanks to play with. Imagine, with all these mods, only having to fill up once a month.
        Hobby, fuel tanks in saddle bags. Hmmmm.... I do have some old bags, and I wonder if they would hold a 1 gallon can...

Comment

I bought a fuel pump on e-bay this past summer. 12v. about 1"X2"X3", reversable, and on/off switch, seems like I paid about $15. It uses either 1/8 or 3/16 line, can't remember, would have to look. Seems like they called it a small engine fuel pump. When not running it will siphon either direction, your petcock prime would take care of that. Don't know how long it would last as far as years of service. I don't use it, would be willing to part with it if you are interested, if not, might give you a direction to look. Personally, I would look into altering or going to a bigger tank. Less gas lines and parts...less problems. Otherwise...cool idea.
          79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
          79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Red

Do you know what brand it is and the P/N? I'm sure I can find one at an auto parts store around here. If I don't have any luck, I'll keep your offer in mind. It won't be run continously, just long enough to transfer the fuel from one tank to the other.
            Thanks for the offer.

Comment

John, it's made in Taiwan...maybe you don't need to hear anymore??? MAGNUM electric fuel pump. #237377. Global Hobby Distributors Ca. The wires have aligator clips on the ends, came that way. I checked ..it has 3/16 line hook ups.
              79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
              79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Come on now.

I would normally not comment on something like this but the thread is still going in the direction of the aux tank pictured.

Man that thing is ugly. Tell me it wont look like that on the back of your bike!

Sorry man it had to be said.

Comment

Of course it won't look like that

The pic you saw is the cardboard mock up. The real one will be steel, and it will be painted black. Beauty is only skin deep, and you know what they say about opinions. Besides, you aren't around to see it anyway. What would you do for extra capacity...swap over to an ugly Std tank? No thanks, I'll keep my Spcl tank.

Comment

Not a cut

You explained yourself. You have to admit what I saw in the picture was ugly.

Done up in steel and painted black now I can picture it in my head.

Yeah the tank size is a problem. I thought you had been reading the posts. I never said anything about a standard tank. In my post I said I will be building a new tank out of a spare purchased on E-Bay.

I saw one built for a Honda and it looked factory and added 2.5 gals.

I owe ya one you can call mine ugly. It's all fun!!

PS never said I was smart just alive.
                    Last edited by kennewick58; 11-05-2006, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Yeah, the mock up isn't pretty, but you should see the other side! When I cut it out, I didn't think about what side would be exposed, and there is a little kid who is looking at some kind of gyrating lamp. Hell maybe I should have exposed that side. I still would like to expand a Spcl tank by widening it a few inches on each side. There has got to be a way, with out making it too bulky looking. I have an idea that involves using an XS650 doner tank. I 'm thinking that the angle of the tank from the front to where it flares into the sides will have to addressed, and by using some pieces of the 650 tank, it being shorter, may allow me to maintain that angle as the tank gets wider, and still retain the stock teardrop shape. I'll have to find a 650 tank and eyeball it. Kepp me posted when you do the tank project, I'm really interested in how you do it.

Comment

Good tip

I just saw a doner 650 tank at the junk yard I am going to stop tomorrow and measure.

Anyway I would like to see how the aux tank fits your bike.

Comment

I have fitted the mock tank in place, and it just hugs the contour of the fender, with about a 3/8 inch gap, and the notched section at the rear is where the tail light tucks in. I have a 79 tail, and it is mounted low on the fender. I will attach the tank to the under side of the rack. I may modify the design a little, and taper the back of the tank above the tail light instead of having it squared off, for better visibilty for the person behind me. Let me knlw what you deduce from the 650 tank.
                          Thanks

Comment

Cool, a "Paris to Dakar" XS11. Talk about monkey butt!!!!

John, I have good electric fuel pump out of a '01 Corolla. It was replaced cause they didn't believe me when I said the MAP sensor was bad. Might be too much psi, would make for a quick fill though I can bring it on thanksgiving run if you want to try it.
                            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Webb

I think that pump will be too much, besides, it mounts in the tank doesn't it? I just want a small external mount pump to transfer the fuel, and I won't need the high output of a car's fuel pump, but thanks for the offer.

Comment

John, I would think the car's intank fuel pump would be ideal. Of course it's not my project, but at least then you wouldn't have to find a place to mount/hide it. I don't think the output would be too high either. I made a trailer one time out of a Mazda pickup truck bed and kept the fuel tank and pump to fill my generator gas tank. I just connected the wiring to a hot lead on my truck and installed a toggle switch to activate the pump. Long story short, the pump was too slow! I would turn it on and go do something else and then forget it was running. That's just my two cents worth,

Dean
                                If it aint broke....it aint mine!:(
                                80G The Big unit
                                72 BSA Rocket Three "Main Squeeze"
                                84 GS1150ES "Big Sue"
                                79 Special (Tomcat's) as yet unnamed

Comment

Working...
                                X