No announcement yet.

Crank movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But they were talking piston to head measurements... what does that correlate to in piston to VALVE measurement?

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

By Dan Hodges What is your valve to piston clearence? The vp clearence should be at least .060 on the intake and .080 on the exhaust but you can obviously get by with less.
      I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

Just an update for anyone that cares....

My heartless B&%$# finally recieved her transplant on Thanksgiving! I would have posted sooner... but I have been riding the heck out of her... lol. Just a quick recap... 78 cylinders and cams on an 82 everything else. The gear fix and the beefed up clutches (New springs and an extra steel plate) are awesome! A slow roll in first and cob it... and the beast rears right up.... it's the coming back down it doesn't seem to like! lol. This full fairing makes an aweful heavy landing. I won't be doing that any more! But.. it runs strong and runs fast. Even running it REALLY hard a couple times, I ended up with better gas mileage than my other motor taking it easy. 31mpg VS 28 or 29. It should be better after I ride it easier and the rings seat up all the way. I put a light honing on the cylinders before assembly.

Anyway... she's still not the prettiest gal at the dance, but it's now not the ugliest! lol. I tried to paint the headers with the high temp paint.. I don't care for it too much. And when I spritzed the pipes with water to see if they were all firing... it bubbled the paint up where I sprayed it. It didn't seem to like the sudden temp changes!

I just wanted to say thanks for everyones help.. especially John and Kat in Dallas.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100

Comment

Mad Maxim and the tell tale heart, thump thump!

He Tod,

That's great news!!! But you really shouldn't be doing those WOT bursts until the rings have reseated!! Your better mileage may be a combination of many factors, better compression, better tuning, non slipping clutches, etc.!!

As for the pipes, weren't you supposed to let that high temp paint CURE thru a warm up and cool down cycle before hitting it with the water spritz?

BTW, did you remember to torque the head nuts twice??

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I am going to re-torque everthing tomorrow... as for the paint, it didn't say anything about that. I cooked the pipes in the oven like it said to.. I am going to try to sand them a bit on the bike and re-paint them.. WITHOUT hitting them with water this time... but I still don't like how they look.

Tod

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100