Crank movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank movement

Well, I got to go for my first ride today after getting the seals put in and the motor back together. I replaced the left side seal... then started it.. and noticed that the right side was leaking. I pulled the galley plug out and replaced the O-ring, then saw some oil on the back side of the case, so I jerked off the rotor and replaced that seal also. I rode it to the car wash to rinse off some of the grime, and it blew a fuse. I replaced it, but it blew again. I figure I have a wire pinched or something. That's not the problem though. The problem is.. the right side continued leaking. I pulled the right sideplate off again, and it's the seal I just replaced that's leaking.
    I'm amazed I have made it to the age I have with some of the non-thinking things I seem to do... but I started it without the rotor on to see if I could see where the seal leaked from. I could see that the crank was actually vibrating around alot, but the seal seemed to be holding... so of course I rev it a bit to see if it will leak... and immediately shoot my galley plug across the shop and hose myself down with hot oil! I killed the bike... mentally kicked myself a bit while I dripped.... then grabbed my crank. I can pull it and wiggle it around some. Not in and out.. but up and down and sideways. I am assuming this should be solid and I am thinking the bearings are gone in the motor itself.
    Is this something that can be fixed by splitting cases and replacing some crank bearings.. or is the crank itself maybe gone? Should I just leave it alone and park it until I get this other motor re-done? Is this something that if I ride it a bit the way it is... will ruin the case?

Lots of questions... I am needing some help with some answers please.

Thanks...

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Hey Tod. Sounds like the crank bearings may be a little loose. Do you happen to know what color bearing you need? I have a a couple of complete sets and I could fix you up if needed. Didn't we discuss the galley plug on the phone the other night? Tsk, tsk...
    BTW... WK said she really enjoyed meeting you yesterday, and that you seemed like you were a really nice guy. Fooled her, didn't you? How'd you like the BBQ joint? Kinda hard to keep lit if you cover it with sauce, tho...

Comment

John,

I haven't been into this thing anywhere below the jugs. I've never split a case or anything. I wouldn't have a clue what color the bearings were. Is this something that's fairly easy, or something that I'm just better off getting the other one built and leave it alone until I'm ready to go through it also?

I enjoyed meeting Kat also. I had to make her think I was a nice guiy though... her evil laugh and plotting were starting to keep me up at night worrying. : ) So.. do me a favor and don't let her know the truth! And the BBQ joint was good... but told her.. I was disappointed that I didn't get a buzz! lol.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100

Comment

And... I already knew all about the galley plug.. it's happened to me before. I was just concentrating on watching the crank... OK.. no REAL excuse... but I bet it would have been really funny to someone else!

Tod

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100

Comment

Finding the bearing color (size) involves splitting the cases. There are a couple of sets of numbers stamped on one of the end counter weights on the crank, and some numbers located on the lower case, in front , right below where the cases meet. You have to locate the numbers, and subtract the smaller from the larger. That will give you a number, and that number will convert to a color. A #1 will be a blue bearing, #2, black, #3, brown. #4, green, #5, yellow. The rod bearings are sized the same way. If the leak is not too bad, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine does the same thing, even after replacing them both. I never did check to see if the crank moves aroung, though...I was too worried about the galley plug flying out, and coating everything with 20w50. As far as the fuse blowing, check for a shorted wire that supplies power to excite the field in the alt. Which fuse is it?
          Last edited by John; 11-01-2006, 06:00 PM.

Comment

It's 2 brown wires with a 20 amp fuse. I hope it's not a wire shorted in the alternator.. with all the stator prblems I have had, I'd be pissed! But.. I am worried about the rotor hitting the stator since it wobbles a bit. When I had the stator rebuilt, the rotor had rubbed one I sent him for a core, and was told that if the rotor ever rubs it, it's junk.

Tod

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100

Comment

I wasn't too funny when it happened to ME! I have also been douched with stinky fork oil.

Originally posted by trbig
              And... I already knew all about the galley plug.. it's happened to me before. I was just concentrating on watching the crank... OK.. no REAL excuse... but I bet it would have been really funny to someone else!

Tod
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Where's that ten foot pole??

then grabbed my crank. I can pull it and wiggle it around some. Not in and out.. but up and down and sideways.
                XS1100SF
                XS1100F

Comment

Hey Dan

Good one! LMF'nAO!!!

Comment

Tod

I'm not sure about the XJ, but on an XS, I believe the brown wires with a 20a fuse are for the turn signals. I don't have my book in front of me right now. Do you have a wiring diagram for an XJ? I have one but it's not in color, and it's not in front of me either. I can check it in a while. I have to eat supper, and take one of the girls to a church function, but I'll be able to check it out later.

Comment

Ehhh.. don't worry about it right now. The fuse is the least of my worries at this point. I'll check it out better tomorrow and see if I have something touching up in the headlight bucket. I don't have any turn signals... I was asking WK about if you may want to help me with that some day. So..turn signals broke... just watch for finger!
                      I am about to go out with the family. I will be back later tonight.

Tod

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100

Comment

If the crank's loose it'll be knocking like a bastard under any sort of load, the motor'll be vibrating something wicked and very soon the cams will grind to a dry halt along with many other things as the oil pressure will soon be zero.

Comment

Well... this is just an update...

Can anyone play Reveille for my '78 motor? I tore it open today and split the cases, then took the crank out to get checked. A crank bearing on the right side had spun, and it effectively RUINED my crank AND cases. The funny thing is... on the last few miles I rode it... it never ran smoother or quieter before... lol. Maybe she was just being nice and giving me one final good ride/ good night.

I tore open the spare XJ motor I had. The jugs were pretty cruddy and rusted and I ruined the cylinders removing them. Anyone need a set of standard bore cylinders for an XJ that have all the coolling fins beat off the sides?? lol. I am going to use the upper end off the other motor since it is still a standard bore, but haven't decided totally on which pistons to use. The XJ piston rings feel much better than my other XS rings did.. and the XS had a low compression on #1 cylinder. If I stay with the XS pistons, I will at least swap the rings on #1.
                          I am off to John and Wildkat's house in the morning where he's going to help me do the 2nd gear fix on this XJ motor and work on the clutches a bit. Hopefully I can get it back together soon...

Tod

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100

Comment

Trbig, just swap in the motor from one of Johns bikes, he won't mind.

Comment

Naw... I could NEVER do that to them....... while they were lookin'!!!

Tod

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100