Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally got a XS-11 again but the tank??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got a XS-11 again but the tank??

I bought a 78 XS with 22,000 miles on it been sitting for 4yrs and the tank is horrible with rust!! Also the carbs are locked up too. I cant explain it,But my first motorcycle was a 78 xs11 in 1988 when I was 18 I really loved that bike but of course I sold it long ago. I have had four xs-11's, two 78's and two 79's. Owned also a 1984 v-65 sabre and a 1984 v-65 magna. I currenty own a 2006 suzuki hayabusa which I do love!!! But I really miss the old school bikes. So I bought this one to bring her back to life and I will post pics as soon as I can,But here is my main question, Do all the XS-11 Tanks interchange?? Ive never tried it and was wondering if I could use a special Tank on a 78?? I wish I could salvage the 78 tank for more fuel capacity plus I always liked the fuel gauge too,,please let me know,,thanks Walter

Why don't you try to salvage the rusty tank? Use electrolosys or some sort of acid. Just do some searches and you will find loads of info on this site, for salvaging a tank and swapping them.
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

Any Standard tank will fit. In fact the 81 Venture had an even larger tank. Around 6 gals. I believe you could fit a Special tank to the 78, but you would also need the petcocks for a Special tank. They are totally different from Std petcocks. A few lengths of small chain, or some nuts and bolts dropped into the tank and agitated will knock off a lot of that rust, but beware, the tank may develope pinholes if the rust is really thick. You may need to coat the inside of the tank after removing the rust to prevent leaks. I had a Std tank that leaked after removing the rust inside it. The paint was thick enough to cover the pin holes until I knocked the rust from the inside of the tank.
      Last edited by John; 10-30-2006, 05:35 PM.

Comment

tank pics

Comment

Eeewwww!Grody...

As bad as that looks, I'll bet it can be saved. It looks like a lot of varnish coating the metal from what I could see. You may want to do a search on here for ways to clean/seal a fuel tank. You may find one on ebay, or Andreas Wiess may have one. Hell, check the classifieds ads here.

Comment

John, you mentioned the 1981 Venture tank (6gal) but is that one a bolt on? Perhaps it needs modifications to fit? I would love to have a really big tank. I have a 1978E standard now.
            Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Gary

From what I've read here it is a direct bolt on. The tank is taller, and possibly wider. The Venture is really the 81 Standard. It was basically a blending of Std and Spcl, with a full dress kit attached.

Comment

Succubus found a XS graveyard close to Austin. I talked to him Sunday and he said it was a regular candy store. Ya might give him a PM and see where it was. I am sure there are some local boys here that would be glad to go check em out for you.

Quick, wheres my ATM card and helmet!!!!
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

It was really called "Venturer." The Venture was a different Yamaha.

Originally posted by 50gary
                  John, you mentioned the 1981 Venture tank (6gal) but is that one a bolt on? Perhaps it needs modifications to fit? I would love to have a really big tank. I have a 1978E standard now.
                  Cheers, 50gary
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks

I found a radiator shop that said they would give it a try to clean it out with chemicals, Hopefully I wont have to find a new tank!! thanks everyone for your comments and I will keep you posted on what happens,Walter

Comment

gas tank sealer

Here's a link to the Eastwood Company for a gas tank sealing product .... http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...keyword=10087Z
                      80G Mini-bagger
                      VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                      79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                      79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                      79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

I just got done using the POR tank sealer kit on mine and I couldn't be happier with the results. The kit came with 'Marine clean" to soak it in first to remove the varnish, 'Metal ready' to soak it in to treat the rust, Then a pint of the POR coating which was very easy to use. It's silver so the tank looks real nice on the inside now. I did have pin holes so I roughed up the outside bottom ledges with 80 grit sandpaper and put a layer of fiberglass over the damaged area before I did the inside.
                        Kit was about 35.00. It's so nice now I get all teary eyed just looking at it......well that might be the fumes
                        xs eleven #3 -'78,'79, and now an '80

Comment

Showtime, I second that comment. I have done two tanks with the POR 15 and ditto, great stuff. If you've ever painted something that's rusty using another product originally from England called "Hammerite" paint in the silver colour, it looks exactly like POR 15. Even the directions and cure time are simular.
                          BTW, I used to build guitars and one of my guitars (the second in a series of three) is called "Showtime" The first was
                          "Partytime" and the third is "Bigtime." All three are different in colour and detail but are thin line hollow body "F" hole electric.
                          Cheers, 50gary

Comment

The Venturer tank will bolt-on to a 78 (I have one). It just barely fits inside the (Pacifico) fairing, but it fits.

My Venturer tank is quite rusty inside too. Radiator shop said they can boil-out the rust, do it all the time. They quoted me $35. They also asked if I wanted them to seal it. I have the Caswells kit which has worked quite well in the original 78 tank for many years now.

I plan to put the Venturer tank on the E. Paint the E tank black and put it on my Midnight Special, particularly for short road trips. Around town I'll probably stick with the tiny original Special tank on the LG.
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hey Walter,

That tank can be saved. I done the electrosis method on a special tank that worse then that one and it came out clean. Been doing great. The radiator shop should have no trouble with it. Hope all works out and Good Luck!
                              Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                              87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                              93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                              71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                              69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X