Removing decals from plastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing decals from plastic

So I'm to the paint now. Don't get me started about the prep. The PO was an idiot. Used maybe pickup bed liner black evil stuff over the original paint on the tank. It's been fun.

That, however, is not my question. My plastic side cover and my Vetter trunk and fairing have decals on them. The decals must go. They are long past the point where anyone could even them even get into the same zip code as decent. I could scrape them off, but I likely will end up scraping the plastic and/or fiberglass and wishing I still had decals.

What's a good way to gently remove ancient decals? I tried mineral spirits. They laughed. I tried acetone. They seemed to feed on it and grow larger and even more grungy. At this point, not only must they be removed, but they must be made to suffer for the indignities they have imposed on me. Their epitaph will be written in flame.

I'm OK. Really.

Anyway, thanks, y'all.

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

good ol' gas

I like 93 octane myself. just did an entire z-28 decal from hood to trunk...chop
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Gas. Very effective. And it made lighting the shards that much easier....
      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
      1969 Yamaha DT1B
      Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

WD 40... also heat it up with a hair dryer to weaken the adhesive
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I used a propane torch and a sharp razor knife just waving heat over the decal oh so slightly as not to burn it just to heat the glue then used razor knife
          to peel off decal as I heated it worked pretty good once you got the decal started What ever you do Dont use an air
          sander on the fairing sand the glue lines bye hand with 400 grit then go to six hundred. I got lazy and used air sander and you can see the swirling patterns some where I painted it after.
          The side I did by hand looks lot better.
          Cheers

Comment

Like Prom, I would use an electric heat gun. It doesn't take much heat and I would be worried about scorching something with an open flame from a torch.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

I have heard of using fishing line rather than a razor knife. Keep that acetone away from paint and plastics!

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
              Like Prom, I would use an electric heat gun. It doesn't take much heat and I would be worried about scorching something with an open flame from a torch.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
              X