XJ Timing plate and coil removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ Timing plate and coil removal

I'm about to remove the timing plate and pickup coils on my XJ... anything special (No pun intended) I should be watching out for? I need to replace the crank seal behind there.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Use a hex wrench to remove the retaining bolt from the centre of the square part before you try to just unscrew it by putting a wrench on the square part. It may sound silly, but I know somebody who actually tried it this way and did a fair job of rounding off the corners of the square part before he realized what we was doing wrong.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Yeah... I saw that in the book, I was just wondering if there was anything in particular to watch for during disassembly/re-assembly. Sorry.. I've just never done that before.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100

Comment

Well... this would have been about a 5 minute job replacing the seal, but the guy sent me the wrong seals. They are for the right side. So my bike sits all weekend with this beautiful weather... *Sigh.

I did decided to go to a bike rally at Sparks, Oklahoma yesterday though.... even though I was bike-less. It just amazes me to see the amount of women (And unfortunately, some guys.. lol) that don't mind getting pretty much naked in 40 degree weather! Had a good time..... I think. Alot of alcohol I had with me last night mysteriously disappeared... no clue what happened to it! Sitting here going through the pics... I think I could put a post in that "Erotic News" link in the members forum... lol.

Tod

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100