Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lame Horn

Hi Everyone,

Not being much of an electrical guy I have a question for those who are.

Recently the horn on my 79 Special started giving off a really weak sound when the button is pressed. Since I had another horn, I connected that one and the sound is the same....so that probably rules out a bad horn.

Question, is there any kind of relay that may have gone bad or some other wiring glitch that might be causing this?
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

hi Tadracer

do u know that u can adjust the horns,
    theres a little phillips screw and locking nut
    on the back, loosen the nut and turn the screw
    to change the pitch of the horn, might make a difference.

peter
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

No relay, power comes off the fuse panel from one of the fuses that is fed from the ignition switch, goes to the horn, to the handel bar horn button which grounds the connection to the horn, which should then make a loud noise.

Going from the wiring diagram, the hot side of the horn should be a brown wire, and the switch side should be a red wire. Try grounding the red side and see if the horn operates. If so you need to clean/replace the switch. If not clean the fuse holder for that circuit, not sure which one it is.

Hope this gives someplace to start.

Oh yea, to check the horn just connect the two terminals direct to the battery.

Steve
      80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
      73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
      62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
      Norton Electra - future restore
      CZ 400 MX'er
      68 Ducati Scrambler
      RC Planes and Helis

Comment

I put these on my bikes. Whole lot more noise comes out of these than you will ever get from stock...Well worth 45 bucks...

http://ridesafer.com/store/item/1a82..._Air_Horn.html
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
        1981 LH

Comment

Nice horns, but draw a LOT of current:

Absorbed current: less than 18A

Do you have to re-start after each beep?

Comment

Blow your own horn!

Hey Tad,

After cleaning the horn button contacts, if the horns still aren't very loud, but they ARE when you jump the battery directly to them, then you might want to wire in a RELAY. You can use the existing horn power and trigger wire for the low power/trigger side of the relay, and run a NEW hot wire from battery/fuseblock to the relay, then to the horns, and then run a NEW ground wire from horns to frame. Then when you hit the horn button, it only needs enough power to energize the relay, and then the horns get the full battery power directly via the high power side of the relay. That's how I wired in my aftermarket set of horns!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by randy
              Nice horns, but draw a LOT of current:

Absorbed current: less than 18A

Do you have to re-start after each beep?
              No problem yet; I have had one on for over a year and I have really laid on them a few times. No dimming of the lights when used at night...
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

Thanks for all the help.

I did check the horn by jumping it directly to the battery and it is loud. So it must be something in the wiring. I think I will go for the switch first since it has not been off the bars in several years and must be full of goop by now. And I will check the status of the fuse block too. If that fails then I guess I will wire in a relay like TC suggest.

Its not that I ever really use the horn much, its just that I like to know everything works. Just a quirk of mine, I guess.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
                X