Beaten Dead horse carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaten Dead horse carb question

Sorry I searched but could not find direct answer. Can someone please advise exactly where the pilot screws are on '82 XJ1100 Maxim. Can these be reached without taking anything apart? I think if I adjust screws out very minimally I can cure what I believe is a lean running condition (exhaust popping on deceleration) and a not so clean acceleration between 2-3K RPMs. Otherwise bike runs great. Thanks for your patience with this.
    Ride safe!

Glenn,
    The screws on your bike are on the "tower", just behine the front carb clamp. There is a "plug" that keeps you from adjusting the pilot screw. If you take a small drill, put a hole in the plug, and then screw in a small sheet metal screw, you can pul the plug.
    Once out, you can see the flat in the bottom of the hole. Turn counter clockwise about 1/8 turn at a time on each carb to adjust.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Glenn,

You've probably got some gum in the carbs and your adjustment will be a temporary fix if it helps at all. Also check tightness of exhaust flanges and check for holes in pipes. Exhaust leaks can cause the POP.

Comment

Way to find out...

Before you change the low speed setting you should read the plugs. There are many other things can cause the symtoms too. Balance means the most.
        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
        Drilled airbox
        Tkat fork brace
        Hardly mufflers
        late model carbs
        Newer style fuses
        Oil pressure guage
        Custom security system
        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

If your bike is stock still (No aftermarket exhaust or air filter mods) the carbs you have are fine and probably don't need adjusted. They DO however sound like they need a good cleaning. This definately involves "Taking something apart" and the task may seem daunting if you've never done it, but there's really not much to it, and very little parts actually in there to tear up. It's not like there's a bunch of spring-loaded stuff that's going to explode like a clock's guts when you undo the screws. Everything is pretty simple and basic.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
            It's not like there's a bunch of spring-loaded stuff that's going to explode like a clock's guts when you undo the screws.
            Tod
            Actually, there is one little spring loaded ball bearing that will shoot across the workshop never to be found again when you pull out the choke actuating rod. The ball rides into a couple of indents on the rod to hold in on, half-on, or off positions. You have to remove this rod to be able to take apart and clean the enrichener circuit.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Great.... I was wrong... and now he's scared! lol. Yeah, there are the little balls on the rod, and they may fall if not careful( Small and hard to find)... but have never seen them...

shoot across the workshop never to be found again
              BUT... I'm no Guru and I have only done one set of the XS carbs. And my XJ carbs. I will definately bow out to the Guru here... lol

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Ken, my carbs enrichment lever is spring loaded and when I let go, it snaps back to its riding position. Does that mean that the balls are probably missing? Thanks.

Doug
                1979 XS1100F (runnin the wheels off it)
                1979 XS650 (ran the wheels off it)
                1976 CB550F (ran the wheels off it)

Comment

Bingo! Yes, that means the little ball is already missing, but chances are very good that the spring is still there. The small balls are pretty common. I think the last batch I found was from a very cheap set of drawer slides. Let me know if you can't find anything in your area.
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Those balls were either missing on my carbs or they "shot across the workshop" but I thought I'd try the little balls from the fubar kill switch. Seems like they might be about the same size. I believe they are only on the numbers 1 and 4 carbs.

Dean
                    If it aint broke....it aint mine!:(
                    80G The Big unit
                    72 BSA Rocket Three "Main Squeeze"
                    84 GS1150ES "Big Sue"
                    79 Special (Tomcat's) as yet unnamed

Comment

Dean,
                      You win the cupie doll!! They are only on #1 and 4 carbs. They can "go off" if you don't pay attention, but I'm not quite that poor, YET.
                      I've fixed a LOT of carb sets, without taking the enricher circut apart.
                      The idle and midrange can be fixed WITHOUT pulling the "choke" apart.
                      Ray
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I have yet to have to disassemble to clean the enrichner circuit up there. That hole that the end of the plunger seals is, by carb standards, HUGE!!! Just use your finger... hold the plunger slide open, squirt some carb cleaner into the enrichner hole to make sure that is comes out the end of the tube in the bowl area. If I'm not mistaken, on these models that tube also has an air hole by it's base, where it's mounted to the carb body. Carb cleaner will squirt out there, too. but if the end of the tube is plugged, it won't pick up fuel from the bowl.
                        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

The ball is available from BikeBandit - P/N 360992-001 $0.47/ea.

It is the shipping that will

Comment

BTW, it's just a standard 1/8" ball bearing

Comment

Working...
                            X