X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creepy Idle

Yes, I am one of many Americans who suffer from Creepy Idle Syndrom
    The facts:
    When I start out riding, it won't idle. I can deal with that, it's cold blooded.
    However, once it's warmed up I have the idle at about 800-1000RPM.
    If I ride around for 30-40 miles it starts to climb up to 1500ish.
    I crank it down, and next day its all about keeping it ticking over at stop lights.

I am not sure if its a heat induced vacuum leak, or something is getting clogged in the idle circuit. I sprayed the boots with no result. Replaced the vacuum caps. Advance hose is ok.
    Maybe sticky timing? Appears to be very clean in there.

I am tending towards the clog theory. In 30-40 miles there tend to be some high speed blasts which may suck out the crud.
    I am running filters.
    Any opinions?
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

If the orifices which feed the enrichener circuit from the bottom of each float bowl are clean, cold starting should be a snap with use of the choke lever. For instance, SWMBO and I went for a ride on Saturday, and the temperature was about 45 degrees. With the choke out, and no throttle, her engine flashed right up to approximately 1500 RPM, then it climbed to 2000 as it warmed up. Tsunami fired up okay, but needed a bit of tweaking with the throttle, and it wouldn't idle more than about 1300. This tells me I need to clean out Tsunami's float bolw orifices.

It sounds like your choke circuit is also not working properly, and you've had to play with the main idle setting and pilot adjustments to compromise.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

"Choke" works ok. It starts and will fast idle like it's supposed to. I should not have to ride around on half choke very long though. Maybe a mile or so.
      Runs great, just won't hold the idle.
      XS1100SF
      XS1100F

Comment

My fix for that

I had similar problems and found that the vacuum advance wouldn't return after reving up and wanted to run fast for a long time after closing the throttle. I installed a small spring on the advance mechanism and now it comes back to idle readily.
        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
        Drilled airbox
        Tkat fork brace
        Hardly mufflers
        late model carbs
        Newer style fuses
        Oil pressure guage
        Custom security system
        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Take off your carbs and clean.. reinstall and synchronize them... it will fix it. You may just have to synch them and it will fix it. It sounds like you have one carb trying to pull the others up with it, but it's best to make sure they're clean first.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Unscrew the idle mix screws on the carbs a few extra turns(richen), then adjust the idle revs to your liking when the motor's hot.

Comment

sounds like your carbs aren't synched. Try that and if it doesn't work, clean the carbs.
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
              X