Here we go!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go!!

Well, after FINALLY getting my brother to come down and help me get the bike up on my work table, I am putting her under the... knife? Wrench? Either way, I have accumulated some of the parts I will be needing for my first ever attempt at reviving a classic bike. I'm posting pics here, and will do so occassionally to update on the progress.
    These are pics of the bike sitting up on the work table, with the fairing removed and bracket gone, now installed on Ljay40's ride and looking good.
    Crossing my fingers, and awayayay we go!

1979 XS1100 SF
    Under Construction,
    Due out by Spring '07
    "Some days, it ain't even worth chewing through the restraints."

TomKat

Your petcock leaks and you need to replace the float needles. But of course, you knew that already. You'll need to change the oil due to the fuel in the crankcase.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

And Pro... how do you know this?? Do you know the bike? I don't see any staining from the fuel on the engine.... so how are you determining this??

I know.. probably stupid of me to question THE Guru... but just wondering.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

'There is none so blind..."

Ahh, TRBIG... This bike has set a while, and not on the centerstand, but the side stand.
        May I direct your attention to the staining on the engine under the air box on the left side.
        (I may not be good looking, but I can look good(Umm... I mean, ...look well)

Comment

well, I for some reason thought his middle drive was gold... lol. But I also see his fuel line disconnected from the petcock... sitting right above the stained area. Other side draining through over to this side and down on the case?

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

You are both correct. The petcock DOES leak, and the fuel line is disconnected. However, the fuel line was disconnected about 5 minutes before the picture was taken.
            1979 XS1100 SF
            Under Construction,
            Due out by Spring '07

TomKat

Comment

(Yup... that's an old stain of long duration)

Comment

Anticipation

Well Tomkat, I know how you feel right now. I was in the same position about 6-7 years ago. Took the thing right down to the frame. New finish, paint and polish for everything. Even the wiring harness came off and got refurbished.

And it is amazing because except for the engine, wheels and frame, everything else fits nicely into a good sized muck bucket. What I did was get two muck buckets and as I refurbished one part I transferred it to the other bucket. When the first one was empty, it was time to put her back together. And, I did have the customary few parts left over! But man, was it a great feeling when I hit the button and she fired up on the first try.

Good luck and have fun with it. I know I did.

Keep us posted with pics.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Hey Tomkat

Dont sweat it you got all winter take your time start from one end and go to the other,my bike is far from perfect Its not like some of the other guys on here,serves me well tho, but I think you will be surprised how quick it all falls together This bike will be pretty ! When you get tired hang it up I had to. I always had a radio on as well to kinda 'keep me in the mood" and sometimes distract me.
                  One thing I found was a plus for me I have the manual on CD and had a computer set up in the garage that came in real handy to look things up
                  Anyhow good luck my freind and if theres anything I can do (probably not ) just let me know
                  Cheers
                  LjaY

Comment

Shhheesh typed all that thought I edited it and spell checked and
                    screwed up my name
                    LOL having a great day
                    LjaY

Comment

Well, I may need to borrow a cuss word every now and then, I've been known to use mine up up pretty fast sometimes.
                      1979 XS1100 SF
                      Under Construction,
                      Due out by Spring '07

TomKat

Comment

Originally posted by Ljay40
                        Shhheesh typed all that thought I edited it and spell checked and
                        screwed up my name
                        LOL having a great day
                        LjaY
                        Ljay,

I editted your reply. A way you can prevent that is to go to your USERCP, and create a signature, so when you post a reply, it will attach it automatically! Also, you can create your AVATAR/picture to go beside your name! Just read the information about the AVATAR, how big it has to be, etc.!
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thank you T.C

HHAHAHa wow you are fast, I went back and looked and thought I was loosing it, the name looked fine But I caught it out of the corner of my eye when I hit the send button, I will go to usercp
                          I was always wondering why you guys typed in all your bikes after every post I thought man thats a lot of extra work
                          LjaY

Comment

Working...
                          X