Removing Intake Rubbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Intake Rubbers

I've decided to replace the intake rubbers on my '82 Maxim XJ1100 and I'm having trouble with the two top allen bolts on #2 & #3. They won't budge using the standard allen wrench in the tool kit. Any suggestions? It looks as though an impact hammer is the best way to go although I don't want to break the bolts or strip out the head. Will an allen wrench with a longer reach be better to get more torque? Also, removing the carbs for the first time convinces me that the 4 single K&N's might be the way to go. It's going to be a trick to get them back in with that air box! I've read most of the Forum talk on the change over but never noticed if anyone mentions the part #'s for the aftermarket filters and the best place to purchase them. I don't want to go much further until I talked to the experts (that's you guys). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank,

maxim4rob

indy filter source

I am going to quote Mike because he already put it so well.

One the last page of the "fuel shutoff, replumbing, and individual filters" thread. On 9/18 Mike Hart wrote

"I got my Kustom Kones from cycle-recycle online, the instructions for ordering said to measure the carb diam and get that size or one size smaller. I ordered four 54mm filters, delivered to my door $41.80. They fit great, and have no restrictions inside.

Click fuel system parts in the left nav bar, then air filters. They list the 54mm ones as fitting GS750/850/1000/1100 '80-'86 * FJ1100/1200 * XS/XJ1100 '80-'82

Don't know why they don't have 78-79 listed....

item# EMGOPOD54"

http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
    is the adress if don't have the link.

I also got my filters there. Cheap price, quick shipping and no problems yet.

Jake

Comment

In regards to the allen bolts, I used a real small metal pipe as an extension of my allen wrenches to extend my torque. Same principle my dad tought when breaking apart his chevys' just a smaller bolt.

Comment

I bought a set of 3/8" drive metric hex sockets quite some time back, and am amazed at how often I use them. Having your regular ratchet handle on the allen socket gives you a good feel for what you're doing, too.

Then I got a socket adapter for my cordless drill (that has a torque clicker on the chuck too!) and further amplified the usefulness of that little socket set.
        Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the metric allen driver idea. It worked! I am going to buy the cone filters and need your advice on the size of the main jets. I believe the current jets are stock @ 112. What did you end up using? Cycle-recycle has the jets I need to know which to order. Thanks again.

maxim4rob

Comment

Stay tuned to this thread for further developments...

I have 120 mains (up 3 sizes from stock 112.5) in it right now, and stock 47.5 pilots, and it is still lean. I just picked up my size 50 pilots, and am right now going downstairs to put them in and see if at last I have it dialed in... I sure hope so!
            Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Mike:

Please check my new thread "Jet Sizes" in the Forum. (Hit the wrong button) Thanks!

maxim4rob

Comment

Working...
              X