sissy bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sissy bar

Hey all, any one have a sissy bar for a 82-XJ11 Maxim?
    Thank you Bob From NH

I made mine. It was easy and cheap.
    Believe it or not the square metal off an an old gas grill cart is the right size for the uprights!
    The advantage is being able to build it as tall or short as you want. I literally had SWMBO sit on the bike and she told me what height was best!

If you are interested in the details let me know and I will post.

Note the luggage rack as well... think BBQ grill side table!

JimBoReeno
    My Ex!"Half-Breed"
    '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
    '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
    2000 Indian Chief
    Millennium Edition

Comment

Jim

WOW nice job!!

Comment

.. not that i go lookin for them kinda places, but i've heard that there is a sissy-bar somewhere down in Sarasota.
        ..i prefer titty bars myself [i know where all of those are around here]

Comment

Thanks Ljay, I am cheap and creative..a sometimes good, soomtimes bad combination!
          GNEPIG... I too prefer the titty bar to the sissy bar, but SWMBO prefers it the other way around!!
          Last edited by jimboreeno; 10-25-2006, 08:52 AM.
          JimBoReeno
          My Ex!"Half-Breed"
          '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
          '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
          2000 Indian Chief
          Millennium Edition

Comment

I've been looking for a sissy bar for my LG...no luck. Would love to know how you built yours Jim. Great Job!
            XS 1100 LG

Comment

cool

Was looking for the bratwursts in your pics, maybe some brisket.....cool
              MDRNF
              79F.....Not Stock
              80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

I am looking to make a back rest for my XJ. I would be interested to see more pictures if you have any.
                '82 XJ1100
                '07 Harley Nightster (SWMBO'S)

Comment

First off, check this out XJ Backrest it was the basic plan I used.

It just so happend that I had an old BBQ grill stand (if you knew me it would come as no surprise!)
                  The square metal is the exact size to fit on the upright stays of the XJ's seat rails.

I used 3/4 inch plywood and cut it out in the basic shape you see. I also cut an exact piece out of 1/4 inch plywood as well.
                  I bought foam and black vinyl and cut it and shaped it around the 3/4 piece. I used heavy staples. I then coverd the 1/4 inch piece with vinyl and stapled it. I put the 2 together with heavy countersunk wood screws in the "collars"

I chose to use one of the BBQ sidetables upside down as a luggage rack and put the slats on the bottom (now the top)
                  I commute everyday with a backpack and other stuff strapped on so I cut down a hardwood broom handle and hammered it in the uprights of the luggage rack so I could screw in a couple of eyebolts.

I used lagbolts of the appropriate length to screw the backrest to the frame. I had SWMBO sit on the bike and lean back to get the most comfortable position for her since she is the one leaning on it.
                  I had eyebolts on the horizontal ends of the luggage rack at first but never needed them, so I put conchos on with a little leather strap. (just for fun )
                  I need to pull it apart and repaint it and, if I really wanted to do it right I would find a grill stand without extra holes in it!
                  JimBoReeno
                  My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                  '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                  '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                  2000 Indian Chief
                  Millennium Edition

Comment

Working...
                  X