80 eleven fires on release of starter button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 eleven fires on release of starter button

does any body have a clue what would cause the bike to fire when releasing the starter button it still wont start but you can definately tell it sparks on release.

Could be one or combination of several things.

Has bike been running fine and this is new?
    Have you tried to jump start it?
    How old is battery?
    How are battery terminals, been cleaned lately?
    _________

TCI needs 10 Volts to fire and starter could be drawing too much while cranking.

Corroded grounds, bad wiring connections.
    Battery going south on ya.

mro

Comment

I'm thinking....

Ballast resistors not hooked up right, bad, or a problem in the wiring harness (they tend to get bent and short to the tank).
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Daniel nailed it. Bad ballast resistor will cause that symptom.

Comment

Wouldn't it be the circuit that BYPASSES the ballast resistor on starting? Since the resistor is switched out to provided a hotter spark to start, and back in to save the coils while running?

Steve
          80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
          73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
          62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
          Norton Electra - future restore
          CZ 400 MX'er
          68 Ducati Scrambler
          RC Planes and Helis

Comment

I'm with LoserShoes on this one. The power for the resistor bypass circuit comes from the starter solenoid, only during the crank mode. The resistor is energized only in the run mode from the TCI.

Comment

thanks all, I will see if I can run down each of your sugestions -the one major thing I I did to the bike was the pulse generator wiring harness rebuilt-guess I should of mentioned that first (Aye, LOL) but I dont believe it is that but then again! battery is fine new plugs no corrosion
              merrick

Comment

"It's your wiring job."

I've been following this thread, but remaining silent. I had encountered this years ago on an old kawasaki... just couldn't remember how I fixed the problem. As the Kawa didn't have a ballast resister, I knew that that isn't the problem. (But as I could offer no good solutions here at the time, I kept my mouth shut)
                The owner of the bike too, had installed a different pulse ignition system, but dicked the job up. I can't recall if the ignition was always hot, but I think it was. Ignition was always hot, but the pulses where not sending the signal. What would happen was he'd crank and crank, filling the cylinder with fuel, and then when he took his finger offa the starter button, the juice stopped flowing, and the field in the coils would collapse producing one spark, which would fire the mixture.
                Something like that. Something to look for, at least. I'll bet you're not sparking at all during cranking.
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Oh yeah... his pulse coils(pick up coils) were going to the wrong coils. Firing on the exhaust stroke.
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

very interesting, my friend who did the job of wiring the 'PG' is an accompished journeyman electrician and I trust him totally, but the problem as you say may still be in the 'PG'
                    Dang why would they build such an important part and not offer replacement parts. well thanks I will check the wiring sequence and make sure the wires themselves are not shorting out ... thanks for the the feedback
                    Merrick

Comment

Working...
                    X