Fork change / wheel change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork change / wheel change

I might need to replace a fork. Do they need to be replaced as a pair, or is changing out just one ok? as long as everything is in good shape.

Speaking of changing things, is it ok to pull a rear wheel off and just replace it with another? (a little better condition, slightly thicker rotor and new tire). I suppose the concern being the compatibility of the different rotor with the old brake pads.
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Changing one is OK. The only concern is the condition of the fork spring. (One being weaker/stronger than the other) Could affect handlin', to a degree.
    As fer replacing the rear tire. Sure... old pads wear and groove themselves into their favorite rotor, but all things being equal, there is no difference between putting a new rotor on with old pads; same as doing a brake job, putting new pads against an old rotor. They'll wear in after a short while.
    New pads would be best, though
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Thanks Prom, 2 new springs so I'm good there. The replacement is off an 81 special, mine's an 80. OK? They look the same.
      80 SG
      81 SH in parts
      99 ST1100
      91 ST1100

Comment

Part No. for 80 and 81 specials have different pre-fix
        3H3 for 80 and 4R0 for 81.
        Can not see difference in parts fish and have not had a reason to compared the ones I've got.

Would not hurt to change both if your 81's in good shape.

mro

Comment

If the springs are different rates it will just average between them. Some racers do that on purpose to tune the front end.
          Brake pads are cheap why not just pop for a set, safety first you know?
          Cheers, 50gary

Comment

If the springs are different rates it will just average between them. Some racers do that on purpose to tune the front end
            I've never raced bikes, but I tend to disagree.
            Yes, but what exactly are they tuning the front end for?
            Years ago, when I was a young(younger) stud and raced cars, I would "tune" my suspension/steering for the constant left hand turns.
            Uneven fork spring compression rates affect handling/turning, as one side compresses faster than the other, flexing the forks and trying to twist the axle to the weaker side.
            Again, I have no experience setting up race bikes, but I think that our street applications might be different.
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
            X