No announcement yet.

Carb / Timing Question????????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, do I need a digital camera! The carbs on my 80 standard have the pilot tower PLUGGED, have the small main jets (115/120), plastic floats and drain PLUG. Also, the metering needle comes to a sharp point, unlike the one provided in my (sorry to say) K&L kit.What the heck do I have?
    If it aint broke....it aint mine!:(
    80G The Big unit
    72 BSA Rocket Three "Main Squeeze"
    84 GS1150ES "Big Sue"
    79 Special (Tomcat's) as yet unnamed

Comment

Man, do I need a digital camera! The carbs on my 80 standard have the pilot tower PLUGGED, have the small main jets (115/120), plastic floats and drain PLUG. Also, the metering needle comes to a sharp point, unlike the one provided in my (sorry to say) K&L kit.What the heck do I have?
      .. sounds to me like you have the same carbs that are on the left in the picture, but someone has put the wrong sized main jets in them. those should come stock with the 137.5s. as i said before, they only made the carbs on the left for part of 1980, they have most of the same function of the later carbs but with some early features. i'm not sure but the jet needles and needle jets might not be the same as either the later or earlier model carbs. they dont look like they are the same in mine.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Gene. I do have those bastard carbs on the left in the picture. They have the fuel tunnel between the pilot and main towers. The serial number on the bike is low (xxx445) so it must be from the early part of the 1980 run. T.C was helping me out on another thread and gave me the same info about the jet size. Since I have a set of '79 carbs I am just going to take the 137.5 mains out of them and try them in the '80 carbs I'm rebuilding. Sure wish I had read this BEFORE I ordered all those 120's and 125's from Mike's xs! Oh well, when I get around to restoring my xs650 or tx 750 I should have a pretty good selection to choose from (if they are the same style).
        If it aint broke....it aint mine!:(
        80G The Big unit
        72 BSA Rocket Three "Main Squeeze"
        84 GS1150ES "Big Sue"
        79 Special (Tomcat's) as yet unnamed

Comment

Working...
        X