fork springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork springs

After reading Sucubus situation with the steering head bearings, I decided to go out to the garage and check those on my '80G, since it's up on the stand getting a good going over and an influx of "new" parts from the '79 donor bike. Sure enough those bearings needed some attention. I got that problem solved with a good cleaning but before I put the whole thing back together I decided to check the forks. didn't seem like a whole lot of damping action when I bounced on 'em so I took 'em apart to see what could be done. I've had a bunch of old bikes and most of them have not had such good maintainance in the front end department. This one is no exception. The PO lived down a LONG dirt road in Utah and everything is full of fine red sand or dust. After I got the sludge out of the tubes and cleaned everything I checked the spring lenght. Clymers manual says the 80 & 81 should have a free lenght of 20.31" but mine are only 19.5. Is this really a big problem?
    If it aint broke....it aint mine!:(
    80G The Big unit
    72 BSA Rocket Three "Main Squeeze"
    84 GS1150ES "Big Sue"
    79 Special (Tomcat's) as yet unnamed

Big... no.
    Are the springs tired... yes.
    I'd say a good 90% of us are in the same boat. If you want to replace them, go with Progressive Springs.
    (no... I'm not starting THAT one again!)
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

come-on

I haven't seen anybody post on this topic. You can restretch the spring. I did one set by straping plumbing tape to a 2x4 with one end of the spring and a 45lb olypic weight to the other and set the height at 33 inches(works perfect) you can just let the weight of this apparatus restretch the spring back to stock in 20 minutes....
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock
      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

"Ok, I'll play."

The spring is shorter because it's lost some of it's tension. It has weakened and sagged with use and age, like most of us. One can stretch it back to it's former length, but that's about it, as it's bounciness will never return to what it once was.
        If 45 lbs of weight will stretch them to length again, what's gonna happen when you put them back in the forks and put 500 lbs of bike on top(not to mention cornering, pot holes, and such)
        Just an opinion... I've never stretched springs before, but have replaced quite a few.

Comment

ooh, ooh, me too!

Here I entirely agree w/ Pro. Here's another way to explain it: The spring shortened because the action of loading and unloading it weakened the internal (molecular) structure of the spring, thus causing it to sag -it can't hold itself up anymore. By stretching it back out, you are further disrupting the structural integrity of the metal.

Take a thin piece of metal for example, like a metal strap that holds copper pipe in place inside a wall for plumbing fixtures. Bend it. Then bend it back. It doesn't go back to its original shape. Bend it back to the first bend. And back.... Essentially, every time you do this it's weakened a little more, until it fails (i.e. breaks).

Same deal with any metal. The spring might be back to its original length, but its properties are now different. It can't damp the same amount of load as effectively.
          -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
          '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
          ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

I suppose you could stretch it to the desired length and then re-temper it (or whatever process they use to turn a twirlly wire into a spring). Unless you have a forge/oven in your garage (Ken T..... do you?) it would be cheaper to buy some new (Progressive brand, hint hint) springs (along with a Tkat bork brace, new seals, and new bork oil).
            Your bike will love you for it
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

hey pat

were did you find that bork oil you speak of ? checked all parts houses and bike shops they all looked at me kinda funny. (just kidding)
              1982 XJ 1100
              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

restretch

the restretch on any spring works. I also restretched the diaphragm spring in the carbs. But the fork springs are still going strong.
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock
                80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Ok, at first I thought this must be one of those newbee initaion tricks, ha! stretch fork springs?,(like sending your girlfriend to the parts store for a quart of oil pressure) but I tried it anyway. 50# for a couple of hours and they gained a 16th of an inch. My degree in S.O.P. engineering wants to agree with Prom. and Erick the Red (a real engineer) so I don't think I'll try too hard to restretch them. The new PROGRESSIVE spring idea sounds better in the long run, but thanks for the info anyway, chop.
                  With the air forks, how much do the progressive springs inprove the ride?

Dean
                  If it aint broke....it aint mine!:(
                  80G The Big unit
                  72 BSA Rocket Three "Main Squeeze"
                  84 GS1150ES "Big Sue"
                  79 Special (Tomcat's) as yet unnamed

Comment

Just to be a second opinion, on brands "Race Tech" or "Traxxion Dynamics" have high grade replacement springs. Both have excellent web sites check them out.
                    Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Progressive will send out VERY GOOD instructions with the springs. If you do as they say, you don't run ANY pressure in the forks. Just put the caps on to seal, and you should be good. You MY want to go to five pounds or so of air when loaded, but that will be up to you.
                      I DO run the progressive springs, and with the TKat brace the daily ride handles very well, thank you.
                      Ray
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

.. after the new progressive springs, i dont run any air pressure in mine either, but i dont have a large chunk of fairing and other stuff hanging over the front end either... progressive suspension springs cost about 70 bucks and are real easy to install. you dont need to add PVC extentions for the Standard models.
                        ..i have found 10w oil to work the best for my bike- and i am an agressive rider. i have the TKat fork brace on mine also.

Comment

"Yea, but... when putting in the progressive springs... do the tight coils face up or dow....."
                          "Owww! Who slapped me?"

Comment

The answer is - check out the progressive back shocks

Comment

Tight coils on the TOP for forks. Everyone has their progressive fork springs installed the right way - right? Right?

Comment

Working...
                              X