balanced carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• balanced carbs

Yesterday, I finally got around to checking and balancing the carbs on my 80G. It was a strong, smooth runner before, but what a difference! They weren't all that far out of sync either. I'm happy.
    80G XScitant XStreme

"Don't ever give up, don't ever give in, and don't ever read the owner's manual."

-- Red Green

Bikes I have owned --
    '68 Honda 90
    '74 Yamaha Enduro 125
    '75 Husqvarna 250CR
    '85 Kawasaki KLR250
    '80 Kawasaki KZ750H1 LTD

Re: balanced carbs

At what RPM did you synch them?
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

about 2500
      80G XScitant XStreme

"Don't ever give up, don't ever give in, and don't ever read the owner's manual."

-- Red Green

Bikes I have owned --
      '68 Honda 90
      '74 Yamaha Enduro 125
      '75 Husqvarna 250CR
      '85 Kawasaki KLR250
      '80 Kawasaki KZ750H1 LTD

Comment

Why so low?
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

The higher the revs you can balance the carbs at, the better, balance them at, say, 1100 revs and they're usually a small bit 'out' at 2000 revs or over..

Comment

What's the best way to keep the revs high and steady in a safe manner? I have a throttle lock, but the adjustment isn't fine enough to get it to 4k and keep it there. Is the large adjuster at the bottom of the carbs the right way to go? Crank it up, adjust the individual carbs, then ease them all back down to 1k?
            "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

after syncing at ~2500rpm, I slowly opened the throttle to about 4000rpm and all seemed to hold fairly steady and even. I called that a success. What say?
              80G XScitant XStreme

-- Red Green

Bikes I have owned --
              '68 Honda 90
              '74 Yamaha Enduro 125
              '75 Husqvarna 250CR
              '85 Kawasaki KLR250
              '80 Kawasaki KZ750H1 LTD

Comment

Any higher than 2500 revs or so and the gauges won't read any vaccuum anyway.

Comment

.. i thought the idea of the carbs being synced was for a smooth idle, like at 1000 RPMs? sync them for a smooth idle and the rest should be the same.

Comment

ive always balanced mine with the rpms around 900. If I recall thats how the book says to do it.

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
                    Second bike is an FJR1300.
                    Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

I just synched a set the other day. Done it at idle. It's a smoother rev then before but now it likes to climb to around 2500 to 3000 grand then come down. I'll try to set them again at a higher idle. Maybe I'll have better results. I guess it's good for the practice.
                      Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                      87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                      93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                      71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                      69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Yeah, next time someone balances their carbs down low like 900 - 1000 revs or so, sit the revs on 2000 - 2500 - betcha the carbs read a wee bit uneven again, I always balance mine as close to actual riding revs as possible, rather than just for a smooth idle..

Comment

I sync mine at 2,000 RPM because I noticed the sync changing with opening the throttle.
                          If you sync them at idle, all the butterflies are resting against their stops. As the throttle cable pulls, they come off the stops and now rest against the top of the linkage between the carbs.
                          Just don't go WOT and suck the mercury out of the syncer.
                          Pat Kelly
                          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

If you sync them at idle, all the butterflies are resting against their stops. As the throttle cable pulls, they come off the stops and now rest against the top of the linkage between the carbs.
                            .. hhmmm, i thought that they all rested against one big stopper, the idle adjustment screw. doesnt one cable pull all four carbs open at the same time?

Comment

Yes, each carb has a 'stop' (spring-loaded to maintain tension) for the carb next to it. At idle they all rest against the bottom, when the cable pulls at the junction of carbs 2-3 they rise (ever so slightly) then they pull carbs 1-4 up along with them.
                              My E is so sensative when syncing, the reading changes when the screwdriver just touches the adjustment screw. I set it to where the reading will be when I remove the screwdriver, kind of like leading a moving target.
                              Pat Kelly
                              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                              X