Still can't get bike going

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still can't get bike going

Okay, i have taken the carb apart and cleaned it all up. Put some gas in it and it was leaking through the petcock so i replaced all the seals in it and fixed that. The problem is that i tried to start it and my battery ran down so i stuck it on the charger to charge. I tried kick starting it, but don't think i could get a good kick on it on the center stand.

today stuck the battery back in and now the starter won't work any thoughts?

Jump across the solenoid, make sure it's either that or the starter.
    Make sure you got sparks, fuel, and compression.
    If your battery is racked, you can jump from a car battery, don't have the car running.
    Careful not to overheat the starter though, you can burn it up if you lean on the button too long.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

Do the lights come on when the ignition comes on? If not, check your fuses. If good, try jmping the terminals on the starter. Check the leads for shorts and corrosion. Just do an ohm check from the frame to -terminal and from the postive termial to the solenoid.

When you are starting the bike, do you have the petcocks on prime or just on? Make sure that there is gas inside the float bowls. Pull the plugs out one by one, set it against the head to get a good electrical contact, then crank the engine. Look for a spark when it cranks over. Have you done a compression check?
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

originally posted by savcage
        Okay, i have taken the carb apart and cleaned it all up. Put some gas in it and it was leaking through the petcock so i replaced all the seals in it and fixed that.
        Does that mean you got gas coming out the carbs, or did you have the hose to carb off and it was just leaking thru petcock???

mro
        fuel
        compression
        spark

Comment

It does sound battery related to me. These bikes have to have a certain number of volts to run, so if your battery was down, you can kick it (And you) to death, but it still won't start. Check voltage in your battery first... then go from there.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own