More middle drive questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More middle drive questions

I am trying to sort out a second 1100 that I got in a two for one deal. I was able to start the bike and run it through the gears on the center stand. However, there was a noise that reminded me of a broken tooth on a gear. It seemed to relate to the rear wheel speed rather than engine speed.

I disassembled the rear end & drive shaft and found no obvoius issues. All gears, bearings, & splines look great and rotate smoothly.

I opened the trans (via the oil pan) and all looks good inside. (The fifth gear dogs are like new) The middle drive gear and its mate have all theit teeth as do all main and counter shaft gears, and the drive gear that is bolted onto the secondary shaft.

I am hesitant to disassemble the middle drive. The pinion looks good from the outside and the drive turns smoothly and freely.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Bob

I bet there's nothing wrong with your gears or the rest of the drive train.

About 3 years ago, I tried running mine thru 1st and 2nd, on the center stand. It did the same thing, as you're describing. I knew
    "nothing" was wrong, i.e. "suspected" nothing was wrong, cuz it had done "fine" , the last time, before this >> when I had last ridden it. I had been doing some work, around the head and cams; hadn't ridden it in about a year. Just decided, that the drive train needed "a little excercise"...... (before I was actually going to be able to get it on the road) ........
    >> Well, when it did what you're describing, I was a bit perturbed. So, decided to not jump to any conclusions, until actually riding it. It operated fine.
    I have attributed to the weird noise and action >> to a certain kind of "drive-line-snatch", that can't be smoothed out , unless the weight of the machine is on the wheel; and also, there is probably, a certain kind of "user unfriendly" angle on the U-joint, when the shocks are fully extended. Rear wheel dropped down like that.......(?)
    I dunno, for sure; but I do know "what yer describing", hasn't bothered me anymore, if I kept everything on the ground when I would be putting power to the rear wheel.
    JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
    7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Thanks for the info - I bet you are right. Now all I have to do is reassemble the bike to find out if there was nothing wrong to begin with. It has been said that the only time we learn is when we make mistakes. I should be wiser now!

Bob

Comment

I have encountered the same nosie / clunk running my bike on the center stand. like LASH backlash. Very scary sounding. Nothing is probably wrong with your bike!
        Bill Woods
        1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
        1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
        2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Same Here,
          My bike has 12344 orig miles and it sounds terrible on the stand, but when in normal operation no noise at all, I put new seals and bearings in the rear and it looked brand new!! I hope its ok!!!
          Shack
          Shack
          79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
          2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
          Oct 02
          2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
          3176 miles

Comment

I want pick-up coils!!!

I should get them today... but nothing ever goes as it should
            The bike's been rebuilt, cleaned, polished, all the hoses replaced, fuel filters installed, battery charged, just waiting for that push of a button.... but all it does is "whezwhezwhezwhezwhezwhez". And I wanna "whezWROOOOOMMMMMMMMM..."
            Eh well... just wanted to let you know I'm still kinda depressed due to the lack of the pick-up coils.

Speaking of wroom... a friend got him a laverda jota 1000. No whezWROOOOM.... after 2 years and a charged battery it just said: wWROOOMMM.... And I thaught those bikes sucked.

LP
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Working...
            X