Front end alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front end alignment

OK, my tapered bearings were OK, after I cleaned out a bunch of 20 year old dry grease and a surprising amount of rust inside the stem. I'm powdered coating the triple tree right now and looking ahead to reassembly this afternoon. Have any of y'all got any favorite methods for getting the front end aligned right when you put it back together, short of the old tried and true trial and error? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Alignment...

I just went through that and I found that installing the axle bolt through the forks it is pretty easy to sit or stand in a somewhat riding position and look over the bars when they are straight and align the axle rod to that. Not much room for error unless the bottom of the triple tree holes where the tubes go through are somewhat out of alignment. Even if they are it is easy to realign them. You will find that when the tubes are just in the bottom of the triple tree only it is easy to reposition them with a light tap with your foot on the bottom of the slider in the right direction will easily change the angle of the tube so it will mate up with the top.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...