newbee here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbee here

Hi. Long time lurker and luster of the mighty XS11. I finally took the plunge and bought a '79 Standard with the full fairing and bag kit (Samsonite)including lowers. It has 32,000 miles and runs like a dream. I paid $1,500. Overall, the bike is in real good shape considering the miles and years.

While driving it home (60 miles) I noticed the following: almost non-existant braking, I'm guessing rebuild plus s/s brake lines are in my future...quite notchy shifting and a grabbing clutch going into first...but seems to have a strong second gear. I bought new plates and springs and cable, just for insurance.

The handlebar has exactly the wrong angle for me (my arm STILL hurts after 3 days), so I will be changing that. (is that difficult?) and last but not least, I have a 30" inseam and the bike is huge! Methods for lowering?

Mostly I just wanted to say hi to all and see if there are any comments on the above. Thanks!!

Long time lurker

There's all kinds of info on brakes in tech tips etc.. plus a ton of posts on brakes which you can search for, same for clutch.

Get manual. Really helps.

Before replacing clutch, do adjustment. Might solve problem.

Handle bars are easy to change, slight hassle to get left grip off sometimes. If going to longer bars, might need to get longer cables/mc brake hose. (had to replace brake hose on my 80G when I put new bars on, other cables were ok.

mro
    btw. welcome to XSland,
    ........can you post a pic of your ride?

Comment

I don't know from experience, but remember reading when I first got on here about putting shorter shocks on the rear. Stockers should be 12 1/2". It seems to me there is plenty of room between top of tire and bottom of fender that you could put an 11 1/2" shock on there and be okay. Glad you brought this up though, my SO needs something shorter as well. Maybe MRO and some other guru's on here can help out.

and welcome to XSland. You will find it a gathering of a lot of great people willing to share their experience and kindness with the masses.

Theron
      Yamaniac
      '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
      '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
      '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
      '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
      '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

help for 30" inseam???

Has added benifit of being able to take you fish for a ride

mro

btw
        shorter shocks and lower forks, need to raise bars, don't know who has part for this tho. otherwise will only lower about 1/2 inch.

Comment

dont know if they make them anymore but if you get a set of handlebar setbacks it might solve the handlebar issue and the ability to slide the forks up at the same time
          79 xs1100 standard
          76 kz900 <now 1015
          Terry Meyer

Comment

The barbacks are rare, and expensive if you can find them. I do know of one manufacturer...GenMar. Here is the link:
            http://www.zianet.com/GenMar/
            I just sold a set on ebay for $93!
            I have them on both Specials, and the 81 has been lowered by 3/4" in front, and 1 1/2" in the back. You must have some type of riser or the air valves will hit the bottom of the bars after just 1/4 inch. Look for my post called "The Lowering". I have found that with the Mac pipes, the pads of the center stand will bottom out on a sharp bump, and with my fat ass on it.

Comment

My first move on the front brake would be Stainless Steel lines and some EBC pads. The better way to run more effective brake lines is to use dual full length lines from the master cylinder directly to left and right calipers. This eliminates the divider block mounted on the lower triple clamp and provides a direct path for the fluid. When (if) you buy the S/S lines make sure you get the double banjo bolt for the M/C.
              Cheers, 50gary

Comment

If eliminating the splitter fitting you could use the longer bolt from there.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Wow. Thanks for the feedback so far. The problem with my bars is that they point almost directly at me as I'm sitting. I have to contort my wrist to even twist the throttle. Very uncomfortable.

The other thing I noticed that I forgot to mention is that I have a low speed (15-45 mph) wobble. It feels like I am riding on rain grooves. Seems to straighten out over 50mph. I am going to replace the tires anyway when I get everything else sorted out and see if that is it. If not....steering head bearings?

By the way, my previous ride was a BMW R1200C cruiser, so I am used to notchy gearchange, but I think this is pretty excessive. I will try adjusting the clutch and going from there.

Where can I get those fishbowl shoes? They look like just the ticket!! looool.

Comment

My XS11 shifted poorly at first then I changed the brand of oil. I now use Shell Rotella dinosour oil. Works better now. Having said that it may or may not help your's? Bikes can all be different you know? Yeah, those bars are called tiller bars as in roto-tiller. Are you going to tour or what, that may colour your choice in new bars?
                    Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Yes, I will probably use it mostly for longer distances. Once I get it moving I won't want to put my feet down lol. I will probably change out the handlebars on Monday and then tackle the brakes mid-week. I did all my wrenching on my BMW, but this is a real different animal.

In that it is Japanese (Helga was my nickname for the BMW) something more appropriate like Godzilla may be needed....or Godzirra if you listen to Bob and Tom. (some of you will get that one)

Comment

something more appropriate like Godzilla

That sounds familiar

Yup, think I've heard that name somewhere

mro
                        btw
                        brake fluid has probably never been changed, and if bike has been sitting for awhile probably "gunk" in mc's/calipers and corrosion on caliper piston. Yamaha book says to change brake hoses every 4 years. I've not changed em on my 80G (works good) and my hot rod has SS lines, but new ones are going on my MNS and then the 80G will get some.

Comment

In that it is Japanese (Helga was my nickname for the BMW) something more appropriate like Godzilla may be needed.
                          That's right, can't use Godzilla. Name's taken.

It's big, green, black and full of diamond plate and claw marks and screams like it's namesake!

There can be only one, thank god

Comment

Dare I say Honda?

I cant answer too much on your brake stuff or lowering the bike but I know what you mean about the bars. Special bars just kill my back in about five minutes of riding. Years ago I switched to Honda handlebars. They have slightly less rise and your hands are positioned more natural. All the cables and controls fit correctly and the damn thing just seems to handle easier in turns.

But......thats about as far as I go with Honda stuff!
                            Mike Giroir
                            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I took my old handlebars to a local motorcyce accessory shop today and just compared with some of the ones they had in stock until I found some that seemed to fit me. Kind of hard to do in the store, though. After installation and while sitting on the bike, they seemed to be a vast improvement. Won't know for sure until I get it back on the road. I also installed some gel type handgrips.

Getting a motorcycle lift (the full size flat one from Harbor freight) tomorrow and then tie that sucker down and have a go at the front brakes, calipers and then the fork seals. I am thinking of s/s brake lines. They are probably original so way past time for a change. Any hints or suggestions will be welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X