How do you hide your wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you hide your wires?

I mean with a Vetter fairing. If I pull the headlight bowl - which will be redundant when I put on the fairing and also is too grungy for my soon to be fairly attractive widowmaker - where have y'all stashed the connections from the inside of the headlight?

I hate to have them just tethered up there.

Thanks,

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Believe it or not, many installation just leave the wires, taped together into a bundle, just hanging out the front end of the bike.

I have a Windjammer IV on my XJ; headlight shell is in place and wires are inside of it. Vetter also made a 'cap' that fits inside the headlight shell to close it off to the outside world. No clearance problems between the shell and the Vetter, plus it looks neat and would be easy to switch back to a nekkid bike. Depending on the model Vetter you have, try leaving the headlight shell in place and see if you get lucky.

FWIW, I am using a Vetter mount originally installed on a Special. Don't think it is any different than the other XS 11 mounts, but have been told there may be minor differences due to the difference in rake between the standard and special.

I removed the XJ headlamp to use in the Vetter; other than that only change was to remove the turn lights and replace them with short bolts to hold the headlight shell to the mounting ears. Again, there are some differences in the turn light mounting / headlight shells between models, so what works on the XJ may not work on your bike.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

The King of Kong has a Pacifico, no headlight ears remaining. His wires are covered in a neat little leather bag that hangs off the back of the speedo-tach by the bolts and snaps together over the wires. I have no idea where it came from. Maybe a Pacifico thing?
      1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Think so...

Probably is a Pacifico thing as mine has the same leather bag. Trick is to tie 'em up inside the bag and after attaching to speedo bracket, just fold the ears over it. Now it's outa the way and outa sight.
        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
        Drilled airbox
        Tkat fork brace
        Hardly mufflers
        late model carbs
        Newer style fuses
        Oil pressure guage
        Custom security system
        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Does anyone know where I could come by such a bag?

Patrick
          The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
          1969 Yamaha DT1B
          Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

I bought my last one from a local chainsaw shop. I believe it was disigned to be some sort of faller's tool pouch or first aid kit carrier. Mine is a heavy, cloth-backed vinyl with a snap closure 'flap' for the open end. I tucked the wires into a nice tight bundle, slipped the pouch down over it, then pulled the flap up between the wires and snapped it shut. The whole works tucks neatly between the folded-in headlight ears which are zip-tied together.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

are you talking about the bag that came original with the fairng? Most people say don't use it because it collects water and destroys the connections inside. My dad uses it, but our bikes are kept in the garage, nice and dry.
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

I've got the original bag on Tsunami, while SWMBO's Purple Reign has the bag from the chainsaw shop. I've never had a problem with water getting into the bags. That may because the open end is down on both bags, or it may be because both bikes are also kept under cover year-round.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

How do you hide your wires?

I purchased my 1980 XS1100G with a Don Vesco fairing. There is a black plastic box bolted to the headlight mounting ears. All the cables run into the back of the box and one cable runs out the bottom that plugs into the fairing.

The box is approximatel 7.5" x 4.5" x 2.25". The top of the box faces forward and there appears to be a cover plate in front. I am unable to see the front of the box. It makes a neat installation if you have the clearance.

Hope this helps.
                  John in El Paso
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100G
                  2002 Honda Goldwing
                  1977 Yamaha TY250
                  1973 Yamaha TX750 (future project)

Comment

Working...
                  X