Need recommendation on carbs rebuilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need recommendation on carbs rebuilt

Hi eveyone, does anyone know where l can take my 78 XS11 to have the carbs rebuilt? When l move the petcocks to PRI they start to leak, which means stuck floats. l tried taping on them with a rubber mallet, but it didnt work. l live in San Jose CA and would appreciate any info on where to take it besides a Yamaha dealer.

Hi Eleven

Well I know what the boyz will say So I will jump in for them
    this ones on me,First off and your best off to rebuild the carbs yourself,Check all the tech tips on the main front page theres a ton of info there and these carbs are not that hard to do, a lil can of carb cleaner and some time and patience and away you go.
    Theres a whole list of people that have had others repair and rebuild there carbs only to end up "doing it themselves" in the end, these bikes are old and not many modern day mechanics like to work on them. Take your time search the tech tips and read and you will be amazed at what you can do for yourself and your probably right about your floats theres probally some dirt on your float valves or float adjustment outa whack. Let us know if you require more help
    Cheers
    LjaY40

Comment

Eleven,
      Send me a PM, as I work in San Jose!!!
      I've got one or two sets of carbs here at home, and can rebuild a set in one day. We also have an owner in Felton, so we can try to set up a date, rebuild the carbs, then go for a ride to make sure everything is working properly.
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

You know what I always say, Ray... it's the float needles. And clean up the seats with Q tips and chrome polish.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

It may also be one of the floats, as they are all metal in the early bikes...
          Ray
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG

Comment

Eleven

Or you Can do what Diver Ray suggests , Its a whole lot easier

Comment

I know it has already been said, but because it is soo important, I will say it agian. Do it yourself! You are going to have to learn sometime.
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Eleven,
                PM me, and I will act as the teacher. It isn't hard, and is easy if you have a teacher. I work on the west side of San Jose, and can probably help with the carbs next weekend. I may be able to help this weekend, if you can pull the carbs Saturday, and bring them over on Sunday.
                Ray
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. l will pm you Ray. As for doing them myself, l just dont have the time. l will pay to have them done right the first time. My 78 XS11 only has 711 original miles, it was stored for 26 years. The only thing left to do is the carbs. l changed the color from maroon to red. Brakes have been bled, new rear shocks are on the way, new Dunlop Elite ll RWL tires have been ordered. lt has new petcocks, NOS turn signals. Even the gauges still look new, no fading on the dials or letters. Every where you look, the bike looks 28 months old, not 28 years old. lf anyone in the area would like to see it, just pm me. Thanks again.

Comment

I've seen this XS11 - and I've never looked harder at a bike - it's so damn clean you could eat off of ANY part of it. ...I've just never seen a 28 yr old bike with only 711 miles on it...

Eleven, you SHOULD post fotos of THIS bike...

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Im'e sorry, but unless you find a really good mechanic(rare) you will regret paying someone to do it. I thing since you really don't want to do it, find somone on this site who is reputable and willing to do it for a few bucks, or a case of thier favorite drink
                      Rember, just because you pay a "professional" there is no garuntee that it will be done right. If you think about it, it only takes about a day at most to do it for your first time. You decide
                      Acta Non Verba

Comment

I believe the board member named "Red Bandit" does these carbs on a regular basis for reasonable fees.
                        Cheers, 50gary

Comment

"I think since you really don't want to do it, find somone on this site who is reputable and willing to do it for a few bucks,"

I would drink to that! Take DiverRay up on his offer
                          heck he lives right there and he's offering his services
                          and has parts if you need them and way more knowledge than you need he would rebuild those things in a couple hours. I wish I lived beside him
                          And you get to meet a fellow Excessive and go for a great ride when its all over,cant beat that!

LjaY

Comment

BTW: what are the best carb rebuild kits? And do they have the butterfly shaft seals?
                            Acta Non Verba

Comment

shaft seals

the butterfly shaft seals are sold seperate..., My yamaha dealer
                              gave me a 10% discount which helps a $5.00 each !!

I did get a kit from carb kit capital , looks ok(forget brand) and has a lot of the jets included...Have not used it yet so cant say anything about the quality , but a 14.95 was a good price ...

Bob
                              1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
                              1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

Working...
                              X