Color tunning calamities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color tunning calamities

I finally got to use my new color tune last weekend and I gotta say what a dumb design. Many mentioned horrible misfiring and they were right. With the tuning plug in it woul fire about once out of 5-8 spark cycles. Why the hell did they put the spark gap SO FAR up in the hole? It doesn't make any sense to me. Anyway, when I did it, the color looked pretty good right off the bat, the problem was that no amound of screw turning would yellow the flame i have been in my carbs several times with carb cleaner and it seems to run pretty good. I don't think anything is blocked or clogged. Any ideas on this???
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

If no amount of turning makes a difference in flame colour, then something has to be blocked. At the same time, if you are experiencing loss of flame, that also points to something being blocked. My colortune sparks reliably as long as the screw is opened enough to provide the required fuel flow. When it starts to sputter, that is an indication I've gone a bit too far towards lean.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Me too....

After much fiddling around with the colour tune thing and finally being able to make it work right I found no amount of screwing changed anything. Went back the the old school ways and read the plugs. Took a few trips, but I finally got it right and she sings sweet. Colour tune made everything too rich.
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Mine work ok

When I use mine I could take the color from gold to deep blue. Are you sure the tips are in good shape on your needles? As far as the mis- fire goes it is a factor. I had to fool around with the caps and position of the electrode in the cylinder to get consistent spark
        wingnut
        81 SH (Daily Ride)
        81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
        81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
        82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
        81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I have had my Color Tune for over 10 years and used it on a lot of different bikes. I would not tune without it.
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

I can see the spark flash through the glass but no ignition. I think it is because it is so far up in that stupid hole. I don't under stand way they don't run that electrode down to the end of the opening. I don't see how my bike could run and idle as well as it does with something blocked. It also did this on ALL 4 cylinders. I HIGHLY doubt that every carb has a blockage. Not only that, but I went riding after that and took my screw driver with me, stopped after a while made and light adjustment and noticed a diffinate difference.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

If you can't get yellow flame at all (all four), you could have too small of pilot jets. Or some other problem as mentioed above. My biggest issues with the colortune is that you can damage threads (it seems to be more like pipe thread shaped) and that white insulator came off. Lost spark can give you some intermittant flames.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I miss having access to an exhaust gas analyzer. It used to be every Yamaha shop had one and there wasn’t a better way to get the idle mixture dialed in.

I tried a color tune that belonged to another mechanic and I didn't think much of it.

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I've had good luck with my colortune as well. The colortune is stubby because there are about ten different projection lengths for spark plug electrodes for any given size plug. I'm sure it's not a money making proposition to have a hundred different models of colortune plugs, but I'd hate to have one kiss a piston because it was too long! If your concern is an occasional miss on the power stroke, I wouldn't worry about it. I see the occasional misfire on my bike, although the spark is consistent and strong. If a ham fisted previous owner cranked on the pilot/idle mix needles,,, that could be your problem. If it idles well now, how many turns out are the screws? If it is less than one turn, and seems more like an on/off switch than a linear adjustment, then I would assume the orifice in the carb body is damaged (assuming the taper is good on the screw). YMMV
                  2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                  1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

I have mine 3.5 turns out which was recommended by TC. I asked him a while back because he had a similar setup; 81SH, pods, 4-1, ride near sea level. Do the 80's carbs with the square tipped idle screws have the same problem with overtightning? I haven't done it, but I am like the 6th or 7th owner, so who knows.
                    '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                    X