front and rear caliper rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front and rear caliper rebuild?

I have a leaky front caliper on my 79 xs11sf. I need to rebuild it. I found kits available. But both manuals I have say to take the calipers in for service. I say yeah right. It cant be that hard to do. I havnt ordered any parts yet because I was wanting some encouragement/tips/tricks from someone who has done it. I have looked through the brake maintenance/repair forums. but nothing on rebuilding.

thanks in advance
    eric
    '79 XS 1100 Special

Leaking around the piston, or at the banjo bolt, or the bleeder?
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

leak

have not inspected really close yet but believe it is around the piston.
      eric
      '79 XS 1100 Special

Comment

Do not be afraid, go ahead and bust it a part, clean all rust, make sure all the rubber parts are serviceable and you are on your way... If need be, buy a rebuild ket and do it right. I am new to this, so I am sure there is a whole lot of info regarding this in tech tips, take a look and good luck!!

Dupman

Comment

With the caliper apart, you might find that the piston is rusty/pitted from being exposed to weather at some point when brake pads were worn way low. Then, with new pads, the pitted area contacted the o-ring.

You might be able to polish the piston well enough to be serviceable, and will likely have to replace the o-ring.
          Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Take it in fer service????? There's a lot of things the manual says "we" can't service....like the lil ol' electronics box (yeah, right!). If ya take it in fer service, it may not come back as calipers, if ya git my drift!!! LOL....
            I'm the Person my Parents Warned me about.

Comment

Yamaha sells a kit with new seal and dust boot and ring, also includes some reassembly lube for getting tht piston past the new seal......about $25 per caliper IIRC. These are your brakes right? DO NOT reuse the old seal especially on a leaky unit. Pistons are unobtanium so hopefully yours are good (not pitted or rusted beyond use).
              Gary Granger
              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Disassembly is a cinch. Remove the round clip that holds the dust boot to the piston and and remove the boot. From there you will be able to see the grooved lip that the dust boot sits in. Grab a hold of that lip with a pair of pliers and rotate the piston while pulling it out. With a couple of turns it should pop right out. Inspect the piston and caliper for rust spots and crud and clean as necessary. Look at PartsnMore.com for caliper rebuild kits for your specific model or go to any local cycleshop that can get parts from K&L and get the kits from them, either way, much cheaper than the friggin' dealership. Lube the seal in the caliper with a little clean brake fluid, DOT3 only, and slide the piston back in leaving the lip exposed for easy dust seal installation. Bleed with fresh fluid and your on your way. Good Luck.

http://www.partsnmore.com/PNMSite/XS...s%20parts.html
                Link to brake parts!
                Jeremy

1979 XS11 Special
                2002 Ducati ST4S
                2012 BMW F800R
                1981 Suzuki GS450E
                1982 Honda XL500R

Comment

Hello,
                  I wanted to add another way to remove the piston. Plug of the hole in the caliper where the banjo bolt goes into with a bolt of the same thread size/pitch. Open the brake bleeder and snap your grease gun onto the bleeder nipple. Pump the gun till the piston comes out. This is how most other mechanics i have met disaasemble brake pistons from the caliper. this will leave no marking on the piston, as pliers might. And will not turn you caliper piston into a dangerous projectile like using compressed air has been know to do. good luck - always were eye protection!
                  Bill Woods
                  1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
                  1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
                  2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Working...
                  X