No announcement yet.

carb boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After installing the electrical tape repaired boots, I found that the mating surface where the boots meet the head had major vacuum leaks. I was going to just spread a very thin layer of RTV sillycone there, but decided to try a gasket instead. I took a boot into work today, and I was going to try to find some very thin gasket paper and "roll my own", but as I was searching for the paper, I stumbled across some thermostat housing gaskets for an old 170/200 CID Ford 6 cylinder engine. Hmmmm, I thought. After the smoke cleared from all that thinking, I placed the gasket over the boot, and guess what? Have you guessed it yet? It was almost a perfect fit. The opening is just a little larger than the ID of the boot, AND the bolt holes in the gasket are slightly off center, just like the bolt holes in the boot. All I had to do was align the gasket to the boot, and trace around the boot, to remove the XS gasket material. I haven't installed them yet, but I will get to it in a few days. If I hadn't let all of the smoke out of my brain thinking about the gaskets fitting the boots I would have been able to think to get the Ford P/N. I will have to replenish the smoke that was released from my brain, and write the P/N down to share with y'all. It will be a couple of days before I can get the P/N and replenish the brain smoke, as I have jury duty tomorrow. It may not be available from Ford any more, but it has to be available aftermarket, if we are still able to get hem. I think the ones we get are Fel-Pro.
    More to come...
    Last edited by John; 10-16-2006, 03:55 PM.

Comment

It will run like a damn Ford! (running and ducking)
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

As long as it runs like a 'Boss 9' I'll be more than happy. You know, most airline ground eguipment is Ford powered. I can never have a 'Ford free day'at work. Myself, I'm a GM man, but last year I was given a 96 Taurus by my Mom in law. It had 48k miles on it. Now it has 54k. I wouldn't have bought it, but you can't look a gift 'bull' in the mouth.

Comment

Gasket P/N

The gaskets are the thermostat housing gasket for the 2.3 L Ford engine. There must be a couple of million of those out there. The Ford P/N is: E8ZZ 8255A

Comment

Taurus in Chevyland

John,
            I wouldnt buy a Taurus either but I inherited an 89 SHO from my wife. A real solid performer and comfortable too. It has eaten a few late model small-block Camaros and Mustangs too. Oh yeah, guess what kind of engine the 89-92 SHO has....24-valve DOHC YAMAHA V-6! Makes 235 HP and gobs of torque.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Sorry guys, I didnt mean to upset the thread with all this Taurus stuff.
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
              X