tearing into the tranny help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tearing into the tranny help

well, i did the flip the bike method, which was nice and easy to do just by myself and a jack, but i'm not sure if the 2nd gear 5th gear wheel on the countershaft are my real problems. I bought a complete transmission from andreashweiss and it looks great. All of the countershaft gears on both look really good, but the dogs on the 2/3 and 4th gears on the main shaft look pretty worn out compared to the new parts. Is it possible that my problem with 2nd gear is with the main shaft? I just don't see anything wrong with anything on the countershaft.
    thanks,
    steve

is there an easier way to get to the main shaft then pulling the motor and tearing it down?

Comment

Steve, just wondering about the bike flip. Have read lots of references to it but don't understand the "easy" part. It's HEAVY! and there's all kinds of stuff to scratch or otherwise mess up.
      I'm interested in how you managed it.
      80 SG
      81 SH in parts
      99 ST1100
      91 ST1100

Comment

'Easy' is a relative term in this case. Flipping the bike over on its back without losing fluids, or breaking or bending something is not absolutely easy but can he handles with a bit of planning and a friend on hand for the lift. Working on these parts from underneath with one hand holding one part, another hand holding another part, and your third hand holding a flashlight is an interesting way to expand your vocabulary.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

well, it makes it easier when you have a motorcycle jack. it's got rubber padding on the two rails that lift the bike. so, i just laid the bike over onto a nice cushy blanket, then put the jack under the frame towards the back of the motor, and jacked it as high as it would go. then i just grabbed the front wheel, straightened it out, and pushed the bike the rest of the way over. it took about 5 mins. no damage to frame, so it works for me.

I'm now ready to flip it back over. I just replaced the entire countershaft and gears, and just put it all back together. If it doesn't work, then i'll pull the motor and tear into the main shaft, but we'll see.

Comment

Well. I'm heading outside to start my 2nd gear fix. I'm not going to flip the bike (I guess I can do that later if I have too).
            I built a garage/shop just for projects like this. It's been hijacked and is now a big shed.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Ok, I have the gears out.
              The dogs are quite worn, the slots don't look too bad.
              There is a referance to moving a washer from one side to the other. I see parts in this order:
              5th gear (with the dogs), clip, washer , 2nd gear, lip of shaft, another gear..... etc.
              Does the washer get moved against the lip of the shaft? And, is this worth doing?
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Does the washer get moved against the lip of the shaft? And, is this worth doing?
                .. this is the way Bob Jones does it, and from what i understand he is the XS11 God. if you dont have gears[that are in good shape] to replace them with, or if you dont under cut the gears you already have, just switching the washer from one side of the gear to the other may work for a while. you should bust out the trusty old dremel and at least make the corners sharp again.
                .. switching the washer to the other side of second gear will give you about .040" more dog engagement. if your second gear only pops out under a hard load[high rpm], then this change should work for you.
                ..important! if you have distorted the circlip getting it off[it doesn't fit in it's grove tight any more] you will have to replace it. when you put the circlip back onto the shaft, against the gear, make sure you put it on with the smooth side against the gear, the sharp side towards the sliding gear. the travel of the sliding gear is limited by the shift fork and will never make contact with the circlip.
                hope this helps

Comment

Like I said, the slots weren't bad at all. I did clean them up and put a slight under-cut on them.
                  The dogs are taking some work to remove the rounded lip.
                  I have moved the washer, circlip looks in good shape.

I really hope I get this back together, I didn't (haven,t yet) flipped the bike over.

I removed the oil cooler to install it on the other XS that will be getting the big-bore kit.

Back to the dremmel.
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Flipping bike over

I found an easy way to flip the bike over. I put a good rope around the triple tree in such a way it would not slip when flipped and raised the front up with a hoist in the garage beams and when it was at about a 60 degree angle it was easy to flip and let down on some pads. Sitting on the rear tire is the easy way to do tranny repairs.
                    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                    Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system
                    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I read all the time about the second gear fix. Mine wants to jump out of first under load but no problems with second. How is that problem resolved?
                      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                      1981 LH

Comment

I have to do this repair too.....flipping the bike over does not sound right......I think that I will take the engine out.....the amount of torque and .40 thou more does not sound good.....I guess undercutting the dogs is better......but does not sound easy
                        82 XJ1100 Maxim
                        80 XS1100 engine and parts doner
                        Awsome machine.....love going on rides.....
                        black on black

Comment

dpotter,
                          The first gear is like second, just all the way over on the counter shaft. All of the gears that have the problems are on the counter shaft, as they are the only gears that move back and forth. If you look at the "Tech Tips", and print out the sheets, you will see the dogs and slots that need the dremmel work. It should only take about two hours to do both first and second gears. And yes, do BOTH gears, as well as the washer swap on second. This will keep you running for years to come, with no problems.
                          Ray
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks Ray
                            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                            1981 LH

Comment

i wish i would have known about the washer swap prior to this, that's the only thing i didn't do and the bike is already mostly back together.
                              oh well, we'll see how she runs.

Comment

Working...
                              X