jetting..help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jetting..help!

Let me see if i got this right. Bear with me guys I am not a wrench. I have a 78 xs11e and the info i have on it is
    137.5 mains and 45.0 pilot jets. I have 4into 1 kerker. the bike was given to me that way. I plan on putting individual filters, so my question is according to the jetting recomendations on the forum I should put in 147.5 mains 47.5 pilots
    Is this right and what all is involved in jetting. Do I need to drill anything or do they just screw in?
    Thanks for all the help

Aren't the stock pilots 42.5? Denny is now thinking that individual filters need one more size, so yes on the 147.5 mains; if you have 45 pilots in there now, they may be fine.

Mains and pilots are threaded brass, use a screwdriver that really fits the slot well, don't reef em down, get them firmly but lightly seated.

While you have the carbs off, check the needle valves and diaphragms. Let us know how things go!
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Thanks for the response! I'll let ya all know how it goes. Won't be for a month or so. Still got some good riding time and can't seem to take the carbs off when I am riding. I also have to repair some idle screws that have the needle broke off. I am gonna do everything all at once. Probably will do a triple clean while I am at it.
      What things do I need to look for when I have the carbs apart?
      Thanks again
      Joe

Comment

Joe, since you have a month before you dig in, research all the Carb sections of the Tech Tip forums, that should give you plenty to think about!
        Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Originally posted by joe smith

What things do I need to look for when I have the carbs apart?
          Thanks again
          Joe
          Joe, you need to look for all the little parts you drop. In particular, when you take out the rod that hooks the chokes together, ball bearings and springs will fly out, I know that!. Also, there will be gas in the upside-down carbs and when you take it outside and drain it the float valve needles will fall out if the floats are off (this was at night). Float pins roll away into cracks in the furniture. Also, the pilot mixture screws have a teenyweeny spring and washer to lose or fish out, look through the site for pix.

I would check the pilot jets right at first because it seems they get buggered pretty easily, so you want to get those ordered up right away if needed.
          David Browne
          XS11SG Crunchbird
          XS500E

Comment

Thanks for the heads up!!! I will be tearing into the carbs next week. I just want to thank all of you on this list and let ya know you were right about the idle mixture screws causing my bike not to idle. I actually trusted the guy that rebuilt them to have done it right but 3 outta 4 were broke off in there!! I can't remember which one of you guys told me don't consider it done unless you did it. Well I won't from here on out!!

Thanks again,
            Joe

Comment

Working...
            X