Would you pay $800 for this bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you pay $800 for this bike?

Hey guys just looking for a bit of advice. I already have a 79 Special, (not on the road yet) but have found another 79 STD for sale. the asking price is $800, the bike has a a wopping 74K miles on it and bald tires. it does run well and is in fair condition, with little surface rust. needs a seat cover, otherwise not bad for a 23 year old bike. but my question is does this sound like something I should pay this price for or just keep on looking? I need it to commute on ASAP. the thing that buggs me the most is the high milage.
    Tim

79 XS1100SF
    74 Suzuki T500
    74 Suzuki GT750 LeMans
    81 Kawasaki KZ 440 LTD

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    - Benjamin Franklin

I don't know...how much do you have in your piggy bank? New seat cover and new tires, about 300.00 more. Rust in brake calipers? Maybe you will need to line the gas tank also. Add about 25.00. Offer the guy 500.00.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Tim,
      I recently purchased a 1979 xs 11 special and the previous
      owner let me really check out the bike..I ran a compression check and had a mechanic check out the other stuff, brakes, suspension and electrical...after the checks he told me it needed shocks to be road safe, I offered the PO minus the asking price the cost of the shocks and everything else it needed, He eventually accepted my offer...According to Merriam Cycles he says the bikes run way past 100k and his bike has 203k now...I would make sure the tranny doesn't have 2nd gear probs and the compression is a good clue also...tires are not cheap but easily replaced..if everything checks out I think it is a decent price,,also check the gas tank for rust...there is a site within this site that has some great pointers for purchasing a used bike,,I am brand new to this type of bike so I know others will also have some professional advice I am a rookie,,, let us know your choice..
      Shack
      Shack
      79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
      2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
      Oct 02
      2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
      3176 miles

Comment

Tim,
        I think I know what you're getting at. Add two new tires and your over the $1000 mark.
        I don't know what others are getting out of their timimg chains, but my XS has right at 59k miles and I'm a little concerned in that aspect also.
        Except for the occasional poker runs, I ride completely solo. My better half would ride with me if she had her own bike. She has her MC endorsement and rides. For myself to have her riding with me ----- I believe I'd buy it.
        Greg
        1980 XS1100-G
        1979 XL-250S

P.S. At what mileage has others replaced their timing [cam] chain?
        Last edited by xsivebiker; 09-19-2002, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I have 87K on my 80G, I just replaced the timing chain last year at 84K. High milage bikes are still good runners but I would do a compression check. Even if the compression was perfect I would not pay $800 bucks for it, in the condition you describe.....$500 is closer to reality.
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

i am with gary on this one. the only point i would add is if the bike has bags/fairing/additional hard-to-find parts, this might justify a (slightly) higher price, say up to $650-700. if he's asking $800, he'll take less.

the high mileage relates directly to quality of maintenance. you dont wanna be the guy who picks up the tab for previously uncaring owners.

hth,
            - dan
            - thinker57@lycos.com
            - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. I decided not to buy this bike. it had been poorly taken care of over the years. it had a terible front wheel shake at very low speeds and it put out so much smoke at high speed it reminded me of a james bond smoke screen. the bike had the factory fairing and side bags and trunk, but I would of only needed this bike for parts for my special. I figured not to insult the dude and offr him only a $100 bucks for it and just looked else where.

I instead bought a nice little Kawasaki 440 LTD for only $400 bucks. it works as my commuter until I can get the special on the road, and with out smoke screens
              Tim

79 XS1100SF
              74 Suzuki T500
              74 Suzuki GT750 LeMans
              81 Kawasaki KZ 440 LTD

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X