Airbox Drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbox Drain

Looking at the airbox I noticed the drain is in the "clean" side of the box. Is there supposed to be some sort of filter or flap to prevent outside air from being sucked in? Mine is an open hole. I covered it with tape and knifed a slit in it for now.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

There should be a square plastic block with some foam in it. Sort of like a miniature version of the foam air filter on my lawnmower.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Yeah, I think the block is in place, I did not try very hard to remove it. Maybe just the foam is MIA.
      Tanks
      XS1100SF
      XS1100F

Comment

The filter media (foam) was missing from my LG since sometime before I bought the bike. I thing the unfiltered air caused premature wear on my cylinders.
        I used a chunk of the original airfilter (replaced it with a K&N) and backed it up with a peice of screen (window screen the kids tore).
        As those behind me can attest to, the bike smokes now and thus the "need" for a big-bore kit.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Pat, not only does it smoke, it stinks as well!! But if we "let" you gain a little distance, it's not bad at all riding behind/in front/with you.
          Ray
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
          X