New and need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and need help!

I have a 77 750d and just bought a 81 xs11special. Wow performance upgrade!! 30 k on it and it has been left out to much. But the motor is very strong and no smoke. Well right off I wanted to get new fluids in it.
    1. The final drive fill bolt is stripped on the hex and I can't get it out. Any tricks??
    2. Do you guys use anti sieze on bolts?
    3. Need a manual??
    4. Are hard bags differant for differant specials?

Oh yeah I noticed a bit of clunk after hard shifting U joint possible??

I already love this bike. I was real impressed with the tripple but this bike will be even better. Its nice to knw that any given moment with just the twist of the wrist your gone, out of trouble, around trouble what ever.

I tapped my drive fill plug with a hammer and chisel to get it moving and Do use anti-seize on fasteners when re installing. New plug still be available. Around $4
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

1. The final drive fill bolt is stripped on the hex and I can't get it out. Any tricks??
      2. Do you guys use anti sieze on bolts?
      3. Need a manual??
      4. Are hard bags differant for differant specials?

Oh yeah I noticed a bit of clunk after hard shifting U joint possible??
      I've only had one plug that was FUBARed. Used propane torch to heat area around it and got lucky with a chisel that was able to tap into hole like a screw driver and turned with vise grip.

I seldom use anti-seize, unless bolt/nut exposed to corrosives/water. Spark plugs and filler plugs I normally don't have a problem with but steel into aluminum can become a problem if it gets a little rust. if you don't pull your plugs now and then and clean/gap em would be good idea there, and others put on filler plugs w/o problems.

I got my first XS to run with out a manual, got it to run pretty good after I got a manual and found this site. Tech Tips located at left and on main page saved me a ton of trial/error and theres a lota things I never would have figured out.

Have seen several different bags on XSes. Seems only limited to what you can make work. Mounting hardware limiting factor if you can't make your own.

Clutch adjusted???
      Sure a u-joint can go bad, but yet to find a bad one. Shifting can be "clunky". (inherent slop in drive-train) gets better with experience tho. Be careful with rubber boot over u-joint, had one come apart when I moved it outa the way checking u-joint on my MNS.

I spent a few evenings reading through the tech tips here, and now and then go back to check em out . Excellent info here.

Welcome to XS Land

mro

btw, post a pic of your "new" ride???
      Last edited by mro; 10-01-2006, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Hey Bruce,

Welcome and congrats on your upgrade!

As MRO said, tranny/driveline is CLUNKY, but along those same lines, there is 80-90wt oil in the MIDDLE drive section that should be changed along with the FINAL drive, same oil! ALSO, you'll want to pull the FINAL Drive OFF, to get access to the driveshaft to grease the SPLINES, they don't get effectively greased by trying to use the grease fitting! Also, removing the rear wheel, the splines of the wheel to the final drive also need a good greasing!

IF you will go to the LINKS section, second page, you'll find a thread to an OWNER's MANUAL, not a service manual, but it still has good info on maintainance and stats, and it's your model, 81SH!! About 6MB in PDF format to download, will get you started.

Also, check out ROKJOK's CD, essentially a manual on CD along with many parts fiche for several models, etc., well worth the $10.00!

The Clymer's are about the only manuals readily available, can get from many sources, JCW, PNM, BikeBandit...IIRC!? THey are not perfect, have a few errors that we have noted in a thread, but provide good repair info!
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks

Again thanks. Still not sure how this site works I assume I am replying to your post.

Comment

Got it out.

I found the middle cap even worse off. Several trys into it. I decided to take the one off my 750 and off to home depot. I found that a # 5 easy out was perfect. Got home put the tip in and smacked it with a hammer to set . Right out. no problem.

Nasty black goo came out. I popped in some mystery oil once around the block and dumped. Now has new oil. I changed the black nasty crank oil too. Whats up with the window I miss a dipstick. It's ok I'm begining to feel the love.

Thanks brothers!!

Comment

Whats up with the window I miss a dipstick
              Just 'member that when checking(and filling) oil, the bike needs to be on the center stand. Too many people check their oil with it on the side stand, and put in two quarts too many.
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Thanks

Got that one down

Comment

Working...
                X