Starter Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Problems

I own A 1981 XS1100H and just recently it has started giving me problems starting. I was wondering if someone here could help. Sometimes when I hit the start button it does nothing at all other times it makes a sound like a stun gun coming from the starter solenoid(yamaha calls it the starter switch) area what is the most likely problem I have?

Sounds like it could be a weak battery, causing the contacts in the solenoid to chatter. Try using jumper cables connected to your car, just leave the car engine off.
    Last edited by John; 11-27-2008, 08:42 PM.

Comment

tried charging the battery still did not work

Comment

Hey Bjorn,

Did you check your battery after charging it to verify it had 12 volts? Also, a bad battery can hold a surface charge, but won't have the amps to push the motor and such, can't handle a load, hence why they recommended using a jumper from a car battery to see IF it will work properly, if so, then you may have a bad battery!?

Also, have you cleaned the terminals for the battery, the wires to the starter solenoid, etc.? Also, the starter button at the handlebar is just the final ground point for the starter solenoid causing the magnet to throw the switch. IF the handlebar contacts have gotten corroded, it might also not allow enough power to keep the solenoid engaged, so you may need to take the bar switch apart and clean contacts!?

After cleaning the handlebar and solenoid contacts, verified a good strong battery, and even with a jump, IF the solenoid still acts up, then......

You can also then use a jumper cable JAW to jump the solenoid large terminals sending the power to the starter bypassing the solenoid, and again, if it starts, then you've ruled out the starter.

IF the starter responds, then you might have a bad solenoid!?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sorry, I accidently got cut off while I was posting this.

Mine is a 1981 SH and mine had a perfectly good battery and the solenoid and starter button were good, also. I replaced the starter button wires with 10 guage but the starter clutch still slipped and the ignition went; click, click, click.

The shiny cap on the left side of the bike houses the starting motor's brushes. Inside it, you probably will see where the brush assembly can short causing a weak response to the start button. I put liquid tape inside mine after cleaning the cap with solvent. [Be extremely careful that the starter motor revolves easily when you put it back together - you should be able to turn it easily with your fingers by grasping the starter motor gear.]
          I have a 60 amp starter button from Pep Boys mounted to my plastic side cover because my starter button shorted while doing this repair. My bike now starts with the slightest touch even at freezing temperature and remains running using no throttle.
          [IMG]http://michaelwilliamandersen.ga[/IMG]

Comment

Is the starter the same as my 80 SG? I removed the cover on top and it looked like the starter was different.I'm getting a used one and solenoid.Also,am trying a different battery because i think i have a dead cell.I cleaned the connections that plug into the solenoid and have not had a problem yet.
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            xschop K & N air filter setup
            Dynojet Recalibration kit
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Could it just be a bad ground to the frame? Check the grounding strap connecting one of the top screws on your middle drive to the frame.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

This is a picture of yours so I think they are the same

By the way, I don't mean the plastic cap over the starter motor, I mean the silver cap just this side of Oring #13 on the microfiche. You have 2 bolts going through it when you remove the starter motor and 1 bolt on the generator side.
                Last edited by Ken Talbot; 11-29-2008, 11:00 PM.
                [IMG]http://michaelwilliamandersen.ga[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                X