opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinion

I have 2 79 xs1100 specials one has been a parts bike the other have ridden for the last 3 years with few problems. I got both bikes at the same time and chose the one I am riding since it was running. Now I have a few issues with the bike I am riding oil leak on the timing cover side (probably a seal) and flickering oil pressure light. The other bike has many electical problems and scavanged breaks but only has 16000 compaired to 40000 on the other bike. Wondering if a engine swap of a engine that has not been running for 10 years would be worth the effort or fix the problems on the old reliable.

Any thoughts.

If I were you I would ride old reliable into the ground, not literally but I would replace the seal, check connections on oil sensor wiring and just keep on cruising. Then when so many problems emass with the old engine, swap in the newer one. Probably get alot more years on the road that way. If you use the carbs from the older one I dont see an engine swap being problem .Just MHO
    "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
    "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
    79 XS1100 modified standard
    Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
    pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
    straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
    new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
    Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
    Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
    owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

The issues you mentioned could be miner fixes.

1. The oil/brake light flickering can be caused by the front brake switch. The oil and brake light (brake light out) share the red light on the instrument cluster for the 79 special and maybe other XS year models. I had the same problem with my oil/brake light flickering on and off as I was riding but my problem was a faulty brake light switch and after replacing the switch with a spare the flickering light problem stopped.

2. The leak can look like its coming from under the cover but could be coming from the plug that is below the cover or the neutral switch can also be leaking. I had a leak in that area about a year ago, thought it was coming from the seal behind the pickup coils. After removing the cover the seal was dry but there was oil inside on the bottom of the cover and on the left side of the frame. The oil was leaking past the o-ring behind the plug (oil galley) and from the neutral switch. Replaced both pieces to and stopped the oil leaks.

Easy checks before major reworks.
      Do'Lee
      XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
      (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
      (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
      (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
      SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Hi inherited2

If compression good would do as audijunky said.
        Also would clean electrical connections. Does not take too long and might prevent unexpected glitches in the future.

One thing I'd do is pull spark plugs on the parts bike and squirt some oil in there, turn it over by hand a couple times, then put plugs back in.

Have read here (I'm pretty sure) where some have been able to R&R crank shaft seal w/o splitting the cases. If your leak is there might do search for it.

mro

Comment

Working...
        X