Oil Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Cooler

I have been cleaning-up the 1980 XS1100G which I purchased 6 days ago. I noticed a slight oil leak coming from one of the oil cooler hoses. I tightened up all the hose clamps for the cooler and it seemed to stop. They were all a little loose.

I don't see this cooler mentioned in the manuals that I have. Is this a standard part or was it added?

Also I can't get a socket on the oil drain plug without removing the oil filter first. The oil filter housing hangs down to low.

I am going to replace the hoses. What kind should I use?

I would appreciate any help. Thanks,
    John in El Paso
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G
    2002 Honda Goldwing
    1977 Yamaha TY250
    1973 Yamaha TX750 (future project)

I've always used a box end wrench for the oil drain plug. On the oil filter, use a SIX POINT socket, as that should keep it from stripping the head.
    The oil cooler is probably an after market item, as they didn't put them on the bikes in the US from the factory. You can use the cooler hose that is used on automatic transmissions. The hose is designed to hold up to hot oil.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey xszgrider, I do believe you have a factory oil cooler set up. I think they came standard on the 81 H. I have a 79F and I got one from a 81H that I am putting on my bike. Go to www.helperformance.com for your oil lines. I just got a set and you have to cut the crimps on the factory lines. They are nice, from the UK, braided stainless steel oil lines. They were $74.00 and that included shipping. They are specifically for the XS1100 factory setup. Hope this helps.

Comment

I might have spoke too soon. You may have the factory oil cooler or you may have an aftermarket type. They did not put them on the 80G. Does your oil cooler adapter plate have solid metal lines attached to the sides? That is the way they are on the factory setup. I think the Lockhart lines came out of the front of the adapter plate. Anyway, the replacement lines at Hel will only work with the factory setup.

Comment

Oh, yeah, no hose clamps on the factory setup. So, I guess you do have an aftermarket oil cooler.

Comment

Beware the oil cooler!

Make sure it's installed completely and correctly...new lines, spare no expense and whatnot...or pull it and see just how far down the alley you can throw the thing.

My experience here

And here

I got nearly 50 yards on my throw.

CUAgain,
            Daniel Meyer
            Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
            Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Be sure the hoses you use are designed for heat resistance. Usually this means stainless braid covering or the teflon variety. I would not use a car line because it is not designed to be located close to exhaust pipes the way the XS is set up.
              Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

I have a Lockhart cooler on my bike.

I use the same type of cloth braided hose that is used on the factory cooler. If it's good enough for YamaMama, then it's good enough for me.

Comment

My oil lines came apart last weekend. All of the hydrolic hose companies were closed on the weekend. I ended up with some transmission oil cooler hose that would work. Then I decided to rout the lines more inconspicuously. Here are some pics:

Whenever I get a chance, I am going to go and get the steel reinforced teflon line.
                  United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                  If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                  "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                  "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

Oil Cooler

That looks great. I just finished replacing mine also with transmission cooler hose. I might have to redo mine like yours. It looks really sharp.

I have some device in the oil lines that I do not know what is for. I noticed that your setup does not use this device. The oil lines run from the adapter to this device and then to the cooler.

I am still in the process of cleaning her up. I had to order a battery since the old one would not hold a charge.

Thanks for the pictures.
                    John in El Paso
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G
                    2002 Honda Goldwing
                    1977 Yamaha TY250
                    1973 Yamaha TX750 (future project)

Comment

The item in question is...

A thermostatically controlled bypass. When the oil is still cool, it reroutes the oil, bypassing the cooler. I don't use mine, and I ride all year round. I figure it doesn't take very long to heat up the oil, so why have something in line that can fail, or be a potential leak?

Comment

Thanks grider. I forgot to mention that now, with the extra brass fitting at the top, I can "feel" the oil temperature. As I start up on a cold morning, I put my hand down there and feel the oil warming up along with the cooling fins. Thats a neat addition. I also agree with John. You don't really need it unless you live in temperatures that would be too cold to ride in anyway. You should always let the engine warm up for a while before you ride. Since the bike isn't moving(generally) while it warms up, In theory, there isn't any cooling done by the cooler. Down here in Texas heat and TEXAS traffic, you might sit idling for a while letting the engine get really hot. The oil cooler just helps keep the engine at a reasonable temperature the times you do move. Since the traffic is soo bad at places, many times, I have beeen able to shut the engine off and pull out a snack to eat in the middle of the freeway. Granted it is a hot most of the time, but now that it is cooler outside, it is actually comfortable just sitting there.
                        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                        X