New tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tank

I recently bought a tank from a '78 E, and will clean, do some body work and paint it to install on my '79 Special. More gas = good. I hope you all can help by answering two questions.
    1) What is the 3/16 pipe fitting that sticks out from the rear end of the tank for? The Special doesn't have such a fitting.
    2) Is there a kit available that can be used to clean and coat the inside of a rusty tank?
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    Burl
    '79 XS Eleven Special
    "Dirty White Boy"
    "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you!"

Hello, That fitting is an overflow drain. You want to connect a drain hose to it that goes to the ground. It's for when you miss or over fill your tank. Also, the tank treatment is called Kreem. It is a three stage process and easy to do. You can get it at www.denniskirk.com. Good luck!

Comment

Electrolysis

Here's an alternative for getting the rust out of your tank:Electrolysis
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

"Tanks fer nuttin"

Papa is correct. The gas cap on the standard tanks sits in that little recess. Fills with rain water... tube drains it out. Fill the tank too full and then set it on the side stand, fuel seeps around the gas cap seal and the excess drains out. Fill the tank to full at a gas station and walk way to have a smoke, the heat of the engine expands the fuel... and the excess drains out.
        There are better sealers than Kreem. Too many people have stories to tell about that product... I'm one of them. Do a search for Kreem, or tank cleaning, to bring up the old posts. Yamaha sells a sealant that most people have had success with, if I recall, but there are many others.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Is there a kit available that can be used to clean and coat the inside of a rusty tank?
          I have "some rust" in two of my XSes. Not extensive. Cleaned loose stuff out and use in-line filters and have not had any carb problems.

mro

Comment

When I 1st found this list (Yahoo days) I had just bought Kreem. The feeling I got was that Kreem seemed to cause problems down the line. Caswells was suggested (www.caswellplating.com) so I bought that. Used it on my 78 tank and I'm still happy with the results. I have another caswells kit for my large standard tank. I also still have the Kreem kit that I'd like to sell. $20 + shipping.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

4 + year old creem?

Guess it could work, after all it's going into a 25+ year old tank,
              really........., er........ sorta work.........maybe??

mro

Comment

Still sealed in the original containers.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I did this electrolysis method on some auto parts and the results were far better than satisfactory. I recommend it strongly.

http://650rider.com/Content/pid=6.html
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

POR15

I used a product called POR15 on mine and I am very happy with the results.
                    Bill

1980 XS 1100 Special
                    1979 650 Special - sold (Stupid Me!)

Comment

I've used POR-15 on two different tanks Both had really bad rust to start with and I have been happy with the results using POR-15. Follow directions exactly.
                      Cheers 50gary

Comment

Jetmechmarty is right.

The electrolysis method works GREAT! I did it. Took me about 5 days but it only costed me less then 4 bucks! When I got done with the tank I used a 5 gallon bucket and soaked the low fuel light warning sender for just a few minutes. It never worked. It does now I have some pics of cleaning the tank. Just get some washing soda or if you can't then go to your pool store and get 100% sodium carbonite I think, I would have to look again at my bottle. That's what I had to do. 1 cup to 5 gallons of water. May of been a half. I can't remember. Just make sure you make some plates to block off the petcocks and fuel sending unit. I made mine out of some thick plastic and used a old inner tube for a gasket.

This is what I started with. It didn't look like much until I got done and seen what all I got out. The last photo tells the story.
                        [IMG][/IMG]

This was my setup and the first cleaning. Used a toilet plunger or stopper or what ever you want to call it. It worked great and fit tight.
                        [IMG][/IMG]

This was after all the cleaning. Just washed it out with water and rubbing alcohol.
                        [IMG][/IMG]

This is all the rust and coat hangers I used. I made a new one every other day as the rust eats them up.
                        [IMG][/IMG]

Sorry my pictures didn't come out better. Camara was having a bad day.
                        Hope this helps.
                        Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                        87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                        93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                        71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                        69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Working...
                        X