Fuel Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Gauge

The fuel gauge on my '79 XS11 hasn't worked since I bought the bike, since there's only about a month left of the season here, I'll be looking for something to do over teh winter months.

What's the best way to go about fixing / looking at this problem? I don't even see a needle in the gauge but haven't taken anything apart yet. Can anyone offer any advice on this?
    1979 XS1100 - "Blue Belle"

no needle? it sounds like its broken. is it laying in the bottom of the gauge, perhaps? i've never had mine apart, but the gas gauge itself is replaceable. i doubt yammie still makes them, but i dont know.
    - dan
    - thinker57@lycos.com
    - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

My 79 XS11 SF doesn't have a fuel gauge. It does have a sending unit in the tank, (long ago covered by tank sealant) that starts a red light glowing in the instrument panel that warns of low fuel.

Perhaps some of the models were different?

Comment

I'm in Canada if that makes a difference, maybe I have the "European" version of the bike?
        1979 XS1100 - "Blue Belle"

Comment

Only Standards had gages, the Specials had a low fuel warning light. There is a voltage regulator that puts out 7-8 volts (from memory) and this is what powers the gage. It is a black box mounted to the back of the tach assy. If the needle is missing, try a different tach, they are usually pretty cheap on e-bay or place an ad in the classifieds section of this web site.
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
          X