broken idle mix screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken idle mix screw

I broke it, over zealous tightening. tried adjusting them while carbs installed and I guess my "lightly seated" by feel is different from others. Any way I tried the needle trick and the thumb tack trick with no luck. Any body used any other method. Small drill bit maybe? I wonder if I put the carbs in the freezer for a day if that would make it easier to get that likkle stuck piece of sh-t out Thanks for any suggestions
    "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
    "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
    79 XS1100 modified standard
    Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
    pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
    straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
    new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
    Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
    Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
    owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

mine were stuck in there real bad. I ended up using the right size sewing needle (not the thinest but thin). They don't bend. Had a new pair of needle nose visegrips. Grabbed onto the sewing needle with them, stuck the needle over the hole from the inside and hammered the visgrips. It was odd in that a hard hit didn't work, but rather firm tapping. Watch out though, once you get the brass mixture tip out, don't fool around in the hole with the sewing needle or it could break off in there itself.... and that's hard steel. Man, I was happy to get those holes cleared.

Comment

pin removal

Seems that you need the right size "punch" (just so slightly smaller than needle hole) outa some pretty hard steel and then be sure to hold it aligned when giving it a tap.

Had tried tech tip w/o success.

Then remembered that I had a thought about making a tool for removing the broken needles........ so made the plier goodie. Has promise but, as you can see little pointy part bent.

Next went to spare tool drawers and found a "crappy" tap and made the little goodie bottom right of pic. Been meaning to attach to plier but............. to many things to do.

did as pac00t said, used needle nose visegrips to hold it and taped grip with #12 spanner, popped broken needle right out.

mro

Comment

Working...
      X