progressive or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• progressive or not?

so, i've been doing some reading and what you guys suggest is some progressive springs for the front forks to help the ride a bit.

I tore into my forks and got to lookin at the springs and they look like they are progressive springs to me. My question is, (if these are indeed progressive springs) are the ones that you buy aftermarket better or are these the aftermarket springs?

any help is appreciated. i took some pics but i guess im not cool enough to be able to attach them yet, who knows. anyhow the springs are definatly wound tighter at one end than the other for about two or three inches, if somebody out there could tell from a pic i can email one to ya. again thanks for any help.

Pics

Like pics

easy to do.............

Go here: http://photobucket.com/
    it's a free service, follow instructions to open account and then to upload pics. (Recommend 640 X 480 pixels, (fits on page))

After you upload a pic to photobucket there will be three small windows under each of your pics.

Bottom one (has "image" tag), copy that one and paste in your post here. You can type text before, after or both where you paste link to photo. (photo will reside at photobucket, link will be in your post here and photo will appear in your post.

As fer springs.......
    I have not installed progressives in my stock XSes. But do have a set of Jordan Engineering forks on one. Totally different ride, while not smoother, much more stable feel when smacking a pot hole or going through turns.........

mro

Comment

Springs two

Forgot to mention that bike has a set of Kona rear shocks with progressive springs too...... Makes a noticeable differance.

mro

Comment

heres the pics....i hope

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...r/PIC00056.jpg[/IMG]

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...r/PIC00055.jpg[/IMG]

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...r/PIC00059.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Close,
          but need to copy hole link.
          Missing "[/IMG]" which leads and follows link.
          (You got the one on the end)

Link does go to pic at photobucket, and your springs are "progressive" but don't look like after market ones I've seen.......

mro

Comment

so, any idea if the aftermarket ones would have any significant improvement over these?

Comment

TC or maybe John in Texas know more about em. Should "hear" from one of em soon. Think DiverRay may have recently upgraded his forks too.

Someone w/more knowledge about em should be along and correct me, but think you've got stock springs.

Have not read any "negative" reports. All seem to imply improved handling. Do you have a fork brace? Do have experience with those. Well worth getting.

mro
              btw, now that you know how to post a pic. How about one of your ride???

Comment

I saw a set of Yamaha XSEleven Heavy Duty fork springs on Ebay recently. Speed and Sport has a bunch, also. The part number is 2H7-23141-10-00. Has anyone tried these??

Comment

Here's what I did to really improve the XS11 front end. Remove both forks and strip 'em down. The stock damper rods have two oil holes near the bottom. Drill those holes out to 5mm diameter. Drill out ANOTHER TWO 5mm holes slightly above and at right angles to the lower holes. There's another single small oil hole at the top of the damper rod. Drill that hole out to 2mm, and go right thru to drill ANOTHER hole on the opposite side.

Next, slide a 1 inch length spacer (steel or even PVC, 17mm I.D.) up the damper rod to sit above the short lower spring. It's a 'drop down' spacer, the front end drops down an inch and the fork travel reduces an inch and stiffens. Throw in new progressive fork springs. You'll need to lean heavily on the fork tube to get the caps screwed back in. Fill the tubes with 210 -220 cc's of 15wt fork oil thru the bottom drain holes with a syringe. Bolt the whole lot back in and of course fit a fork brace.

With those mods the front end rides and handles a lot better than stock.

Comment

Hey there CrazedFooter and PapaNovember,

Here's the photo from BikeBandit, along with the description and price!
                    Name: Progressive Suspension Fork Springs (Yamaha XS1100 Special 1979-1981)

Price: $67.96 Our Price

$79.95 MSRP

Manufacturer: Progressive Suspension

Note: Spacers are NOT included. They may easily be fabricated from aluminum or PVC pipe.
                    Hopefully you can tell that the tighter coil section is much longer than the ones you showed. Not sure what price the NOS Heavy Duty ones are getting, but these Progressives aren't very high, and anybody who's gotten them swear by them! And you're getting NEW STEEL, not 25 y/o parts and technology!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

HI Crazedfooter

Porgressive spring need a spacer stock dose not

XSively
                      Bruce
                      Bruce Gerken
                      '79 XS1100SF
                      "The Black"
                      '2009 BMW k1300GT'
                      The Red Sled.
                      St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

Working...
                      X