Tires for 1979 XS1100f standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires for 1979 XS1100f standard

Just need to know what tires and size to put on front and back of my Xs1100 standard.

Currently running a Bridgestone Spitfire 11F on front
    (100/90/19 57H)
    rear, an old Continental, which is finally getting bald. (I'm not partial to this tire, just wanted to get my money out of it) (130/90/17)
    As for what brand, I like Bridgestone and Dunlop, but... read further:
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...1&pagenumber=1
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

just mounted

i finished this afternoon putting a set of battleax 110/90 19 on front and modified the rear 17inch tube type rim to use a tubeless battleax 130/90 17 on the rear, went for a short 150mi ride, and the new tires feel great! 1979F
      Costs:
      $180.00 both tires including $25 next day delivery
      3 crome valve stems @ $5 ea.
      Last edited by newrider; 09-23-2006, 10:32 PM.

Comment

"If you don't mind...."

...and even if you do, I'm gonna sing about this one. At least from a safety/liability point of view.
        Tube rims are designed differently than tubeless rims. As are, believe it or 'I don't really car' tube tires and tubeless ones.
        The bead area is the critical spot. I have heard of, but not personally seen, tires, mounted on tube rims without using tubes coming off.
        Duct taping over the rim-lock's holes... hmmm.. no comment... but you get my drift.
        Was actually talk years ago concerning the poor casting quality of the early rims... that the air leaks out through the porous material, but that is minor.
        If anyone has any more input about going tubeless with a tube rim, please pipe up, as I'm an info junkie, looking for more fixes. Everything I've read tells me it's a safety issue, and from a liability point of view, the shops I've worked at refuse to mount them that way.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Everything I've read tells me it's a safety issue, and from a liability point of view, the shops I've worked at refuse to mount them that way.
          .. wouldnt mount them like that any place i have worked either. i'm not sayin it cant be done, just wouldnt do it to my bike.

Comment

Genuine Yamaha Service Manual "tid bits"

Does mention :

"Do not attempt to use tubeless tires on a wheel designed for use with tube type tires. Tire failure and personal injury may result from "sudden deflation"

Can use tube on a tubeless rim.

(so says the da good book!!)

mro

Comment

Tube and tubeless rims LOOK the same, but are NOT!! The machine work on the bead is different, and you should use a tube when installing a tubeless tire on a tube type rim. That is what I have always done, and I've not had any problems with tires.
              Your tire may work for now, but do you want to take a chance of a rear blowout at speed?? The tube is cheap, and cheap insurance. They WILL work with a tubeless tire, as Ive seem auto tires with tubes installed when they have a leak that cannot be fixed.
              Ray
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
              X