Which cam is which?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which cam is which?

This may be an elementary question, but when I pulled the camshafts from my engine I was so fixated on removing the frozen top end that I didn't pay any attention to which cam is the intake and which is the exhaust. I assume there is a difference and it makes a differenc where you put them. There is only one marking on each. One has ZE on it, which I figured was likely the exhaust, but the other is marked Z5, which doesn't invalidate my "E" theory but removes a lot of its basis.

OK, guys, which is which?

Thanks,

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Should be marked with "EX" and "IN". I think I have a few loose ones laying about, let me go check.
    Back... Is this a test or something? I have cams that say "8U" and the other "X6". but on the other side of the cam it says EX and IN.
    I don't mean to be obvious... but have you rolled your cams over and looked?

(then there's always the chance that his cams are odd)
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578

(then there's always the chance that his cams are odd)
      Hey Prom,

They're not odd, they are ECCENTRIC!!!

Kinda like my Panama Jack Hat...I have that straw one, as well as a canvas one I ENJOY wearing! My ears are pointed and I look like SPOCK in a baseball cap, so that's why I like to wear the larger brim hats....just don't feel right in a STETSON!

But, he's right Patrick, the side with the timing dots should have the EX and IN forged onto the non used portions of the shafts!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Mea culpa.

OK, we put the top end on today. Lots of gasket removal and cleaning, then mounting the cylinder and the head.

It will run again.

However, I confess. I glanced at the cams the other day and I saw the markings. It was in passing. I was sitting here, thinking about what I had to do tomorrow, with the cams and hopefully find some time later to try my hand at powder coating the brake parts. So I took the easy way out. My laptop is a lot closer than those cams. It never occurred to me that there would be markings on the other side of the cams so I figured that was a part number or something and I was too tired to investigate. I had 75 percent chance of seeing at least one "in" or "out" when I looked at them the first time. Glad I didn't buy a lotto ticket tonight.

I dragged my lazy butt out of my chair after Pro's response and he is certainly correct.

If you'll excuse me, there may be one more beer looking for me tonight.

Patrick
        The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
        1969 Yamaha DT1B
        Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

after Pro's response and he is certainly correct.
          WOW It's not often THAT happens!
          They're not odd, they are ECCENTRIC!!!
          Yer right, T.C. I had forgotten the correct term. As an info junkie, I INTAKE as much data as I can, but soon EXHAUST myself in the effort. I feel that for the DURATION of my time as a mechanic, I should constantly seek to LIFT my knowledge to new heights. I've recently subscibed to the "U.S. Monthly Cam JOURNAL. I felt that the TIMING was right to do this.

(I've left plenty for you, T.C., go ahead and run it into the dirt, as only you can!)
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
          X