battery charging question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery charging question

I had to go get a new battery and now I am charging it. It is your regular old lead acid Interstate and I am charging it with the partsnmore Emgo battery charger. My question is how long do I charge it, or how do I tell when it is done?
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Hey Jessie,

That charger is only a 1/2 amp charger, so you should probably charge it for at least 24 hours! IIRC, my new battery said to charge it on a 2 amp for about 10 hours! You definitely want to FULLY charge it before putting it on the bike and putting any loads to it, that way it will have a good strong charge memory!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Is there any way to check it? Maybe a certain voltage? I just got a fancy shmancy Craftsman multimeter to check
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Is there any way to check it?

This info should have come with your new battery.
        (tool for measuring specific gravity looks like a small turkey baster with a scale on it and float inside)

Fully charged (not sure but should be about 1.2 on scale) and battery voltage will read 13 plus volts (new batt.....first charge)

mro

Comment

Our battery is a 20-amp/hour. Charge it according to the amp/hour rate of your charger. if you have a 2-amp charger, charge for 10 hrs, if you have a 1/2 amp charger, charge for 40 hrs.

Comment

Working...
          X