• Show
Clear All

• Gas Leak 79 XS11F

Hi everyone,
    Sad thing happened to me today.
    I was riding down the highway and my bike started
    to back fire it sounded like it was coming from the left
    exaust pipe. She got me home but when I got there I realized
    there was a good amount of gas leaking from the bike. I'm not educated on bikes so please bear with me. I removed the xs 11 name plate on the left side then removed the air filter and cover underneeth the battery which had a good amount of gas in it I belive it was coming from one of the 4 tubes leading to the carbs. air intake perhaps? seemed like it was the first one the other tubes where basically dry. I wish I could give exact names but my manual hasn't come yet. I tried the yamaha place.They Gave me a whole bunch of stuff about the bike is old and parts and how it could easily be $500 and they couldn't gaurantee the work or that they could get parts to fix it. I decided to come to the experts to get your advice on what you think the problem is and what should I do. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I love the bike and being part of this group so if $500 is the only route I'll do what I have to do. 1979 XS11F.

I expect you got a little crud in the carbs and/or have a stuck float. For some time and some carb cleaner you can fix it for free.

First try gently tapping the float bowls with a screwdriver handle with the gas on, and see if the leak does not stop. Maybe a little crud caught in a float needle valve.

Also check and change your oil before you ride after you fix it. It is common to get some gas through they cylinders and into the oil (the "gasoil" problem).

Check the tech tips on this site, and dig in. You can do it.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I had the same problem with my cycle at 1st. Based on past experiences I was ready to order float valves for 4 carbs, then I looked at my wallet and decided to look inside the carbs. My floats were binding on the shafts from the buildup of crud from sitting threee years. I cleaned out the inside of the float where it pivots on the shaft. However just like everybody said I had to clean the carbs 2 more times to get all isssues satisfactory. I'm really glad I like working on cycles or I would be nuts.

xjguy and "gone with the wind"

Comment

In addition to the above remark about the float pivot area having some corrosion, you might want to check the float(s) for leaks. Do that by shaking the float next to your ear and listen for sloshing, and by holding them submursed in hot water to check for a bubble stream from a leak. The other thing that I have seen, is the fuel valve needle (float pushes that thing) is spring loaded and the pin can stick.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Common experience with fixing this problem:
          Getting the carbs off is the hardest part of the job, especially the first time. Have a dictionary of slang handy.
          When you take off the floats, DO NOT BREAK THE POSTS ! They are not strong so look for the tech tip about easing the pins out with diagonal pliers. Or there are other ways, but banging away with a centerpunch isn't one of them. Your bike is exhibiting symptoms of a failed float post repair, by the way.
          You can do it!
          David Browne
          XS11SG Crunchbird
          XS500E

Comment

Working...
          X