Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS 11 Carb Compatibilty

Group,
    I am new to the group and recently scored a nice 1980 XS11 G with all the touring gear. The bike was not running - it was stored for many years and the carbs are a mess. I am aware that the jetting changed for 1980 and I am in the process of purchasing carb kits. Other then the jetting, is there any differences in carbs between a 78, 79 or 80 XS11? In other words, can I use 78 or 79 carb kits in my 1980, resulting in larger jets and more fuel flow? Are there any differences in the years that affect the float valve and needle? Finally, the earlier XS11's used the same main jets for all carbs but in 1980 (I think), the inner 2 carbs have different sized jets. Is this beneficial? Since I am purchasing carb kits with jets, I want to make the best choice for my 1980 XS11 - G.
    Thanks

There have been many posts about carbs. Rather than to go into great detail here, use the Search tab at the top right of your screen and get ready for some lengthy reading!

The carbs are different. '78 - '79 are the same, '80-'81 are the same, the '82 XJ is a bit different than the '80 - '81 models. Differences in construction, float type (brass vs plastic) and pilot jets. Again, do a search and the specifics will be spelled out.

Internal cylinders were jettet richer to help reduce heat, but the engines run fine if all carbs are jetted the same. Many of the parts, such as jets, are intechangeable so there is no inherent superiority of one year carbs for tuning purposes. Personally I would keep the '80 carbs on an '80 bike, manuals, parts lists, everything remains factory OEM making it easier to get advise and parts. If the carbs are really bad, broken post and such, then swap, but if is just a clean and reinstall, stay stock, at least at the beginning.

The OEM jetting is OK (not optimal!) for stock systems; unless you will be modifying the exhaust, putting on individual filters, or making other changes to the engine, I would hold off on rejetting. Get the bike in good operating condition first, clean and synchonize the carbs, then go from there.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Just a note

K&L Carb kits can be bad news make sure you check previous posts to find out exactly what you need and from who.

Comment

If nothing broken, should just need gasket and float needle/seat/o-ring. 80's have rubber tip on float needle, jets should not "wear out" and just need to be cleaned along with rest of carb.

mro
        btw
        post a pic of your ride?
        newbe requirement

Comment

Working...
        X