1979 XS1100 - T.C.I. box or points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 XS1100 - T.C.I. box or points

I just purchased a 1979 XS1100 for $150.00, complete bike and needs some electrical work. Can anyone tell me exactly how to tell what model I have, G, E, H, etc..... secondly, I do not see a T.C.I box, could this mean that it has points instead of electronic ignition? If points, what is the clearence setting on these?

Surf through this site to learn all about electrical gremlins and everything else. Your TCI box is under the seat by/on the fender. If you have a 79 it is an F or SF if special, but it could be a 78 sold in 79 and labelled by the DMV. There is a list of VIN under Specifications in the yellow area on the left of your screen. Your VIN is on the motor near where you add oil, and on the frame by the steering head. If they are different, you might have a mutt, but they are good dogs too, some of the best actually.
    David Browne
    XS11SG Crunchbird
    XS500E

Comment

XS1100 - T.I.C box or not?

Thanks for the reply! I ride and I am a proud owner of a 1980 XS1100 "The Rat Bike", it seems to be indestructable, have owned for over 6 years! I am a iorn butt and ride it all over the states. This new purchase I just made, titled 1979, is not equipped with a T.I.C. box under the seat, there is no plugs for it or mounting screw holes, so this tells me that there never was on there. I will open the engine side cover soon as I get a chance to see in there is points or not. If in fact there are not breaker points, then it has to be a electroic ignition and some type of black somewhere is my opinion so far.
      The 1980 that I ride daily does have the T.C.I. under the seat (as well I know) I have had to replace as of last week. I do have a full shop manual, but so it is unclear as to the model of the 1979 nor have I found anything in the manual about breaker points or the setting for these. I just got the bike last night late and I will have to do some more research.
      Here is another point to ponder. the "Rat Bike", a 1980 XS1100G has ribbets in the backer plate so u cannot move the baker plate to adjust the timing. This I have figured for myself with the help of a knowledgable friend. The manual makes no reference to this fact and caused me a real headake. I did the timing check and all is well, also with the vacum advance unhooked at 5200 r.p.m. s the timing is correct. It runs great at a purrrrrrrrrrrr for sure. If u come with any further information, please let me know. Thanks again.

Rat
      Southern Cruisers Riding Club

Comment

ignitor

there should be an ignitor unit on the bike!no points(the unit might have been removed before you bought it. Good price though,where do you live?I'd buy it for that.

Comment

T.C.I. Box

U r correct! I found the box on the back of the fender instead of the front of the back fender. I found the plugs only, box missing. I got an old box from my '80 XS1100 and plugged in on. I am not hooking it up yet, got to go through the wiring frist and make sure there is no shorts and the wires are correct. Thanks for ur input. I am in Columbia Maryland! Yes, I know! It is a great deal! Plus I got all the accessories with it, faring, luggage rack and bags. 1 lid for bag missing, gotta locate it. This will be later. I now have to find a voltage regulator, and a starter relay. Where can I find these?

Rat

Comment

I believe those items are still availabe from you friendly neighborhood Yammy dealer. But you'll pay alot for them. If no one on list has them laying around, then try ebay. It seems there are XS11 electrical parts for sale there all the time. Just gotta keep checking till you see what you want.
            Good Luck
            [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
            [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
            The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Re: T.C.I. Box

Find volt regulators and other stuff on EBAY

Originally posted by rustenale1
              This will be later. I now have to find a voltage regulator, and a starter relay. Where can I find these?

Rat
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
              X