Front brake repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake repair

While doing all the other work on my bike..ie. rod bearings and crank bearings, I also replaced all the brake pads and rebuilt the calipers. My problem is this....after reinstalling the brake line to the right front caliper I then tried to fill the M/c resevior and let gravity bring the fluid down to the caliper. This is not working I can't get the fluid to go down the tube. Any ideas? Or tips on how to get this to work. Thanks,

puv
    78 GL1000 superbike
    82 XJ1100 "now" project
    2000 Intruder 1400

Ride it like you stole it.

Just an idea but you could just take the hose loose and fill it first. Reconnect it then try to bleed them. Might want to use a cajun injector to fill the hose or a fuel mixture syringe that you can usually find at the Auto parts store.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

If you do a search on "brakes", you will probably find a few threads with the answer.
      First question though is did you rebuild the MC as well? If you did, you need to "bench bleed" the MC in order to bleed the rest of the system.
      If you didn't, you should be able to loosen the banjo bolt on BOTH calipers, and just tap on the rubber brake lines. That should get the fluid started, and after that, just bleed the system peer the book.
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Same thing happened to me when installing new stainless lines. I just walked away, came back later and pumped the lever some more (with a small block of wood strapped between lever and grip to prevent too forceful pumping), and it started to flow and bleed just fine!
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

I'll have to try a couple of your tips. I did not rebuild the M/C because it seemed to be working fine prior to rebuilding the calipers and adding new pads. Thanks
          78 GL1000 superbike
          82 XJ1100 "now" project
          2000 Intruder 1400

Ride it like you stole it.

Comment

Working...
          X