Short rider advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short rider advice

I'm new to riding and have found a xs11 special. Before I go any further, I wanted to get advice about the size of the bike for me. I am short, 5'4". I sat on it and don't feel overwhelmed, but I hear that you've got to have both heals on the ground, etc. Is this a bike that should be out-of-bounds for newer riders? And what advice do you have regarding my height and the bike? Thanks in advance.

I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam. On my E I can't put both heels on the ground and I'm very comfortable with it.
    If you feel comfortable with the reach, even if it's ball of the foot (feet) then it's ok. Just watch for low spots when you come to a stop. If you see that there's a low spot on the pavement on the right side at a stoplight then use the left foot. Try not to cast yourself into a set way of doing things. Be ready to adapt.
    I was riding my TS185 (many) years ago and traffic stopped where I had to put my foot down in an 8" deep puddle. I used my left foot to pop the sidestand down and leaned it on that with my feet on the pegs until the light changed. I leaned right as I let out the clutch and popped the sidestand back up as I got going. My foot stayed dry and the kid in the car next to me started applauding.
    I personally have never felt the need to have both feet flat on the ground when I'm stopped. Others swear by it.
    YMMV
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I'm also short 5'7" and 30" inseam. Just follow what Pat said, watch where you stop and be adapable, after a while it just becomes second nature but be ready for changes in spots you get ride in daily, you tend to get into a habit of where to stop, and as always because your not on as firm footing watch for slick spots where the foot goes down.

Ed Z.
      It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
      81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
      82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
      82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

I'm 5' 7" and ride a 78 standard which is taller than a standard. All what the other guys have said is true. The only problem I have is moving the bike backwards on gravel. I sometimes don't have enough traction to push it backwards so I 've had to get off and move it. One of the things that can help when moving backwards is to get the bike moving slowly fowards and apply the brakes to compress the front forks and use the rebound to get you moving backwards. Good luck and enjoy.

Other than the weight this bike should not be a problem for a newer rider. Just remember that it does have a lot of tourque and be carefull with the throttle.
        78E ... Gone but not forgotten
        2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Another option is to maybe ask around here. Several people, like TC have lowered their bikes. I think he only did his that way though so his head would quit dragging the tree branches that were above everyone else's heads..

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I am 5'6" with a 31" inseem and I haven't had any problems (height related) with the 11. I don't think I could put both heels on the ground (at the same time) but who cares. One heel and one ball on the ground works for me. Besides, the better I have gotten at stopping and going, the less often I even have to put both feet down at a stop. I it is a big deal you could shave your seat down. I have heard of people doing that.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Too big?

Hi Seano,
              as far as sitting on it goes, if you can get one foot on the ground you'll be OK.
              Buying an XS11 as a first bike is another matter. IMHO way too powerful for a beginner. Take extreme care or it'll kill you.
              Fred Hill, S'toon.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

IF you feel that it is too high, rather than shaving the seat and reducing comfort, you can lower the bike down a bit.. If you are interested ask somone like John. It has been done before. MY 80G is my first bike and I am 17. Drive conservatively and watch out for others. They are most likley the ones going to injure you.
                Last edited by HobbyMan; 09-19-2006, 04:29 PM.
                United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

My XS was my first bike a few years ago now. Took a course, gradually got used to the weight (vs my 25lb. bicycle!), gradually got the speed up(controlled right hand), and basically loved learning on it. I no longer baby it. Just be careful and I would recommend it highly.
                  80 SG
                  81 SH in parts
                  99 ST1100
                  91 ST1100

Comment

Forgot to mention, I'm 6ft. and it fit me perfectly, so can't comment on fit for a smaller rider.
                    80 SG
                    81 SH in parts
                    99 ST1100
                    91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
                      Another option is to maybe ask around here. Several people, like TC have lowered their bikes. I think he only did his that way though so his head would quit dragging the tree branches that were above everyone else's heads..

Tod
                      Hey Seano,

Tod's got it a little wrong, I actually RAISED mine, I'm 6'6" tall, 37" inseam, I can stand with both feet on the ground and still have space between me and the seat!

The Special has a slightly smaller rear wheel, and there are several other techniques for lowering the bike, from putting on slightly shorter rear shocks, raising the front forks up in the tripple trees a little, resculpturing the seat foam contour.

Laxdad did great on his first rally running the twisties with the best of us, and he's just a lowly Ex-squid Eye Tech.....I oughta know, I'm one too!! Although I do have a "little" more time in the saddle!

You'll do fine, just do some leg presses to strengthen your muscles to help you keep it upright!!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Man... wish that was the only time I've been wrong..... *Sigh. Sorry Seano.

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Im 5'2 and a half 29" inseam cant forget that half inch ya know.
                          one thing I do on my 80 special is I let most of the air out my
                          front shocks that lowers my bike some and mostly try to ride with my Dayton boots that have a good size heel on them. Its a lil tricky riding 2 up, the wife likes to bounce around at stop signs .

Comment

Here's a link

John talks a little about what he did to the 81 so I could ride more comfortably. (I'm 5'5")

The biggest problem with this right now is the side stand. It tends to stand almost vertical. (Which, I guess, is a lot better than it standing horizontal. )

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=the+lowering

There are some other posts where people have lowered their bikes too, I believe. The Search feature pulled up a few posts.

Good luck and watch out for the low spots when you stop!
                            81 SH Something Special
                            81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                            81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                            80 LG Black Magic
                            78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                            For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                            X